Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook / 9800
Accepted Solution

Playbook charging problem help needed

I am having the same sort of charging issue. (I will start with the most recent)

I charge the PB on the stand charger and the wall plugin and get the charging bolt, but after 8 hrs. or more the battery icon shows 0%.

Knowing this, I can remove the PB from the charger and the PB is usable except for some apps wont load, and crash to home screen.

As of now the battery shows 0% after charging all night (11 hrs.) it's been on and running now for 5hrs without a charge and the battery showing 0%!

I know from past experience, explained below, that if I try to restart I get the 5 flashing lights and have to plug the PB back in for a minute or two to get it to turn on again, it won't turn on unless it is plugged in.

Additional background....

- Charging irregularities started after os2 upgrade.

- I did a security wipe and Os reinstall twice. The first reinstall attempt didn’t let me get passed the "waiting for PB to reach 20% before continuing" stage so I unplugged and thought I would try again when I got home, as I was at a hotel. When home I put PB on charger and magically the download started. Charge got up to like 57% and didn’t move after completing install, restarted and it was at 0% again. Put it on the stand and it turned itself back on like it’s supposed to do.

- second security wipe reinstall went a bit better but it wouldn’t go past the terms of agreement - select country page unless I did a restart 2 or 3 times to keep it moving (done while plugged in wall charger or on the stand charger)

- PB sometimes would charge but then would "stall" and remain at the 47% or 80% with no change in power display and again wouldn’t restart unless plugged in. And when restarted when plugged in after very long charge and display showing a charge of like 77%, would come back on with a low charge 10% or 33% etc. very erratic!

- Most recently Friday May 4...i thought problem was solved! Charging looked normal. Charging gradually when up to 100%. Used playbook battery showed normal discharge for 3 - 4 hr. off and on use off charger; down to 70 - 80%. Put back on charger for a while and charge would come back up. Put it on charger over night after a day of use and back up to 100% (something that had not happened in quite some time)

But then Sunday, the charging mystery returned with the battery display "stalling" at 57% with no change after normal use and charging for a few hours, I did a restart and again got 0% battery. Even after the above 11 hour charge it's still at 0% for 6 hours unplugged and powered on!!!!  WTF??

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Playbook charging problem help needed

Search the forums for stack charging. It may be software related.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Contributor

If my reading of stacking is correct, stacking is used to build up enough charge in order for the PB to power on. My problem is not with getting the pb to power on buit rather to display the correct power in the battery,
Today after a 11hr charge, I got 7 hrs out of the PB before it shut down automaticaly.
Additionally, when the battery power shows lower power (but enough to keep the PB on) certain apps, repackaged. Android apps from app world don't work, but do function when battery meter shows higher power.
This along with an instant power loss on a restart leads me to think that it is a programing error.
So if I return my PB to RiM, will the problem return with a new PB?
Are all PB reacting this way...eventually? What's different about mine?
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sasktel

I just started having the same problem. If someone could help me it would be much appreciated. It shows 0 charge, then all of a sudden I am at 90or 100 percent, then it shows 0 again.

Contributor

I called the 1800 number explained what was happening and I am sending it back for repair. I think you should do the same, avoid all the headaches I went through.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

I have a similar problem except with using the charger I'm not getting a bolt icon or anything. (It shows the connected icon when connected to my laptop but charging that way is super slow) So it won't charge at all via the wall charger. Today I tiried connecting it to my laptop to sync things and although it says it's connected it won't show up under "my computer" and won't connect in the desktop software program. I think the problem is software and now hardware because it's worked for months up until a few days ago. I cant wipe it if I can't back it up so I can only hope un update will fix the problem. I cant return it as you did because I bought it used and the 90day warranty expired and I'm not putting any more money into the piece of garbage. I don't see how they can fix yours anyway other than maybe patching the software somehow, because i dont think it is hardware. So hopefully if they can figure out the problem they can put out an update so it fixes the problem for all the people that have it.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

You can enable wifi sharing to backup the playbooks contents.

How to transfer files to and from the BlackBerry PlayBook

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor

Good idea but again that is where the PB's problamatic software gets in the way. I live in an apartment and use a friends wifi which the PB won't pick up so I have a usb antenna that sends the signal to my laptop. Normally I use adhoc sharing for ipods and such but the PB doesn't work on adhoc. I had used a program called connectify that created a hotspot on my laptop but it always crashed my laptop and I think is the reason my last usb antenna internally broke. So I cant do the wifi sharing

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Can you bring playbook and laptop to a wifi hotspot?

many coffee shops, libraries and fast food places have free wifi

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor

Yea I can use the wifi at my dads house when Im there again. Although I'm not sure if the wipe will solve the problem since the guy who made this thread tried it and it didn't really help him. I might just have to wait for a software update to fix these issues