Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Blackberry

Playbook connects but does not communicate Windows 8

I have a playbook 16Gb which was working perfectly until I updated my BB PB to Os 2.1.0.1314 which totally trashed my playbook, first the icons were disappearing & now it wont connect to my Windows 8 Pro even with the BB DM it prompts an error (blackberry desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device) neither does it assign a new drive for Playbook, Did everything turned off Firewall,Windows Defender,updated BB DM,checked original data cable for any damage,turned off wifi & bluetooth,fully charged the Playbook + I even bought a new Usb port.... But it still wont connect!!! 
And one more thing when I plug in the data cable & dismiss the (connected to computer screen) an exclamation mark appears on the TOP Left of the screen saying (Unable to charge battery with connected Source)
Would be very thankful if someone helped....

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Playbook connects but does not communicate Windows 8

this is the official text - you may not have done all the things listed here,  http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26745

The second thing - the warning, is new to 2.1 and is simply a reminder of what is in the user manual - 500mA USB 2.0 is not enough power to charge, so OS turns off the connection. To cheat playbook and charge via USB 2.0 you need to modify a cable.  

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Aliant

I have a similar problem. I have a 32gb playbook with all the latest updates. I am using Windows 8. I have often moved video files from my computer to the PB without difficulty. I was doing the same thing yesterday when the transfer just stopped and a message stating that the Blackberry Desktop could not communicate with the device. I rebooted the PB and laptop, again no communication with the PB....the PB does say it is connected but the desktop does not recognize the PB. It does not appear in the Devices with removable Storage under computer. I have tried it with two USB cables on two different computers. Looking at my device manager, it shows a problem with the Network Adapter for the Blackberry device....it says the device is not working properly because Windows could not load the required drivers for this device (Code 31) (this on both computers I tried). Following the prompts from the Blackberry Desktop, I troubleshot the connection and followed the advice to close out any synchronization apps and temporarily disable the antivirus program....no help at all. The next step suggested from the Blackberry Desktop was to update the PB....as it appears to be a bad device driver, this looked like a good thing to try although it wipes out any apps, videos or music you may have downloaded. It prompts you to confirm to restore the device to factory settings....I did and the reset went well. After restarting the PB and going thru the whole setup again Updates etc I again ran the Blackberry Desktop and tried to connect. Same thing again, same device error for the adapter.....no change at all. I took it into Staples and a tech did something that totally wiped the memory and then reloaded the OS. Again after going thru the setup etc, no connection and the same adapter error. The tech said to contact RIM for help....I have spent the past 4 hours scouring this forum and trying the various suggestions to no avail. I would appreciate any further suggestions that I have yet to try. I will try to contact Blackberry directly tomorrow. Thanks for your interest and help....

New Contributor

I did as said in both the resolution but Nothing happened,But I one odd thing is In device manager and uninstalled the BB driver plugged in Pb again & to my luck it connected & started Synchronizing but before it could be completed same stupid error showed up.

Now I think I should try another Pc maybe that will work.

Even then Thanks 

New Contributor

Connect your PB, Open your BBDM don't wait for the error, Uninstall the (Blackberry device) driver from your device manager after unistalling dismiss the Pb, unplug the data cable, Then after a minute plug it again wait for the driver to install this time the PB will be connected.

In my case it was connected only for 5 mins which gave me enough time to backup up valuable stuff but from that time it connects for only 1 minute hope it dosent happen to you.

If you contact BB direct support make sure to post the solution to me cause direct support is not available in my region would be very thankful of you....

Contributor
My Device: Z10 / Playbook

Re: Playbook will not connect to PC

Visitor
gil69

HI,

Try this, I posted it for a similar query a short while ago. Hope it helps, (I don't know how to cross refer to it so I posted it again to you).

On your pc, right-click 'my computer' and select 'manage'.  Click on 'services and applications', then double-click on 'services' to display them.  To change them, right-click on any one and select 'properties'.  (For this purpose select 'automatic' in 'startup type' dropdown box and click on ok).

Ensure that the folowing services are set to automatic,then restart the pc:-

Webclient service

Workstation

DHCP client

DNS client

Server

TCP/IP Netbios helper

Computer browser

There is also an option with each to 'start' the service, you can do that ater setting a service to automatic too - or reboot the pc (or both)!

Additionally, ensure that 'file and printer sharing' is/are enabled on your pc.

Then install Blackberry Desktop Manager (latest version) if not already installed.

That should do for the pc. 

After that, if you connect the Playbook with Desktop Manager running the Playbook should connect, you should also see the Playbook as a new 'drag and drop' drive in 'my computer'.

If not ensure the Playbook has'connect to windows' and 'file sharing' on; also 'wi-fi sharing' on (for later) and 'password protect' off.

An easier way is to connect wirelessly, - which your P.C. and Playbook are now set up to do too.  That works  as follows:-

On the playbook, select 'about' and in the dropdown box, select 'Network'.  There, you will find your IPv4 network address, i.e. 192.168.*.**.  (whatever yours reads).  Make an accurate note of it. (Not including the forward slash and following numbers at the end).

Now go to your pc and find 'RUN' (depends on Windows version)!  When the 'run' box is opened, type in there two backward slashes (i.e.\\), followed by your Playbook network address that you noted earlier.  NOTE: NO spaces in there, and click on 'OK'.

If all is well, then magically, in your Windows screen, a pane will open giving access to your usable Playbook contents.  To do a backup though, it's a cable job unfortunately.

If this fails, re-check the above instructions.  It works for me.  Good luck.

New Contributor

Too bad for me it did not work...! The 1st method however I did all you said as it is & all clients are working properly.

Thanks anyway

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Aliant

Thanks for all the replies. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Blackberry live support....they are very good and patient. I gave them remote access to both the windows 7 and 8 computers trying to find the problem with the PC not recognizing the PB. They told me that this is a common problem with windows 8 and occurs sometimes with windows 7. They had several fixes that they wanted to try, all of which did not work. Then they asked if I would like to transfer files wirelessly from my PC to the playbook. They walked me thru the steps, which Gil69 has outlined in his reply and in 7 minutes I was transferring files. A bit slower than using the USB cable but slow is much better than not at all. The tech indicated that they are aware of the incompatability issues between windows and the PB and are working on a fix however he could not tell me when it would be ready....sometime after the release of BB10 for sure. He indicated that the cause of the problem is from Windows doing some random things with the Network adapters while your PC is operating.....this explains the many different threads that have described many different symptoms and some fixes that have worked for some folks but not for others. Anyway transferring files wirelessly definitely has its advantages....I can leave the PB in the charging cradle and do the transfers without the incomberance of a cord hanging around, possibly becoming unplugged or damaged with a knock. In any case I am back online and happier that the proverbial pig in s&*t. I love my Playbook and it only promises to get better when the new OS is released. Thanks again for the replies and a big thanks to the support staff at RIM.....you are the best.

Contributor
My Device: Z10 / Playbook

H,

Sorry to hear that didn't help.

Perhaps I misunderstood your situation: from your title I assumed that the Playbook connects but doesn't communicate with Windows.  However, from your write-up it appears that the Playbook may not now connect to Windows.

My solution was supposed to make the Playbook connect and communicate via cable and by wireless.  The wireless connection advice is only of use providing that your Playbook is already connected to your modem/router, and that you have a Playbook wi-fi connection.  I assumed that was your case, rightly or wrongly.

If you can't connect your Playbook to wi-fi and you have tried everything else, can I suggest that you ask you ISP for help?  I did and they set me up with a second (extra) wi-fi connection identity, which was more easily 'connectible' (I don't know how that works, but they did it)!.  That only helped in conjunction with my previous connection tips as regards connecting wirelessly to my PC though.  I know that the Virgin SuperHub is a pig as regards wi-fi (or is set up that way)!

If you can't obtain a wi-fi connection with your Playbook after all that, I suggest contacting the Blackberry Support Team as it may be the Playbook.  There's a 'how to unistall and re-install your Playbook Operating System' on the internet if you think the update didn't work properly too.

Given all that, I can't offer a lot more other than to suggest to disable UAC in Windows.  That causes many problems. perhaps even with your wired connection. There is the usual way within Windows itself which does half a job.  Then there is a 'registry' fix to disable it completely,- findable on the www.  (But you may then have to allow 'secondary log-on', not necessarily passworded) to run other things: BB Desktop/TomTom, etc.

Hope you connect soon.

Best regards.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Sorry I was unable to post this comment but fortunately I managed to get a win XP on my PC & now the pb is working absolutely fine,the wifi technique worked for windows 8 but I got a very slow internet connection limited to 1MB/s which  was taking ages to upload a heavy file so it did not help me though.

Anyway Thanks a lot for helping me out...