Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Playbook crashing wifi network (802.11 g/n)

gumnutninja wrote:

Ok - I found the Mode setting..

Options are: (1) 802.11 g ; (2) g & b ; (3) b only ; (4) n only (5) n, g, or b.

It's set to "802.11n, g, or b"

Security option: none, WEP, WPA-Personal, WPA-Enterprise

It's set to open (bit of a remote area so it had been set up as open n/w).

The router is pretty old - discontinued, desupported - DIR-625 RangeBooster N Router. Found an online manual here ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir625/Maunal/dir625_manual_101.zip

Mode 802.11 g

Security Wpa personal select aes after that.  Select a new password.  Also do this on a wired connection.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Wired connection. Check! Thank you for adding that. It probably should have been obvious but I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't have thought about it until I locked myself out of the wireless connection.. ;-)

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I do have to say that after I updated to 2.0.1 I have issues with my wifi turning on and off also. Its not the playbook, the update did something to mine also. It worked fine before. Also my othere computers connect and disconnect now also
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Gumnut,
Did you get your 802.11n mode problem solved?
Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbox
My Carrier: None...wifi

Or a tablet that doesn't require you to buy a new router every upgrade.

Do you know if you have the latest firmware on your router? It may allow you to have more dhcp clients, or you could shorten the lease time on the ip's so unused devices arent hogging ip's

I would call rim to let them know your having wifi issues since the upgrade. How else are they going to know about customers' problems if they can't track them.
Also if they don't know about problems they can't fix them. But they might have other reason for not wanting to know

Good luck
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

How they would know is by actually testing their software and not just releasing it for us to test and then release updates
Regular Contributor

And from what I understand, u have to pay to talk to RIM. I'm not gonna pay them to tell them of issues. Can't wait till BB 10
Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbox
My Carrier: None...wifi

I'm going to call them on the first issue have that is their fault. Ie untested update.
I'll just waste their time relentlessly as they would have wasted mine by not testing their updates to industry standard.
Good luck
Trusted Contributor

Hi Lost,

Nope - I haven't tackled the settings change yet. I dug up a manual.. It says: 

2. Next to Security Mode, select WPA-Personal.
3. Next to WPA Mode, select WPA, WPA2, or WPA2 Only. Use WPA2 if you have wireless clients using both WPA and WPA2.
4. Next to Cipher Mode, select TKIP, AES, or Auto. 

Based on your and aandras' suggestions, I should select WPA2 + AES and set a passcode.

What should I expect to have to do on the computers, phones, tablets in the house so that they can connect to the changed network?

I did a count - we have up to 15 devices - and I'm a bit nervous about locking them all out. We're already a little surprised that the Playbook has caused so much disruption.

btw - re the update of the OS. The playbook was never used before. It updated itself in about 20-30 minutes when I set it up for the first time and, other than the connection problem, I have nothing negative to say about it. I'd like to see RIM correct itself in the consumer market - their technology is obviously very good - but if my experience is at all indicative, the level of technical competence necessary to use it is a bit beyond the average household user. 

I sincerely appreciate the support of people like you and aandras who are willing to help those of us with limited knowledge muddle through.

thanks again! 

Trusted Contributor

Hi ggstaris - unfortunately I don't have any pre-OS2.smthg experience to compare..

The Playbook updated itself when I first set it up. There were no hiccups in the process - it was quick and smooth.

The connection problem is the big issue. It's pretty major. It shuts the network down within about 10 minutes of use and will interfere even while it's idle. I leave it in airport mode so that I can work on emails/documents without interrupting everything else but that's obviously abnormal and not sustainable.

Are the comments about N-type settings relevant to you? I confess I don't know how the mode a device connects in is determined. A lot of them - including my laptop and iphone are connected in G mode. I don't understand why the Playbook is connecting in N if it doesn't like it so much.