Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook / Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Playbook going to Europe- CAN WE LINK A USB WEBSTICK to access the internet?

Can we hook up a webstick to the Playbook, via a USB dongle, to access the web?  Vodafone has a webstick that you can plug into a pc which gives you access to the web.  I would like to do the same with the Playbook.  Will this work?

Any idea?  What hardware do I need to buy before I leave the States.

Thanks for your help. 

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: Playbook going to Europe- CAN WE LINK A USB WEBSTICK to access the internet?

[ Edited ]

No this is not possible on the PlayBook at this time.

It used to be possible with early OS versions 1.0 and hacks (called rooting) which would invalidate your warranty. Rim put a stop to this in Feb 2012. The driver to achieve USBOTG (USB On the Go) connectivity is actually still in the operating system but it is not enabled right now and no one can figure out how to get it to work. No one knows if/when this can be accomplished. The hacking community is trying to solve this but it's not going to happen any time soon.

My suggestion to you is to go to Box.com and get acquainted with cloud services. It's free for personal use and it's great. https://www.box.com/personal/

You can use the PlayBook's web browser to offload files or to grab files that you've already put in your account. You will need some sort of Wi-Fi connection to do this of course. It will serve as a valuable file storage portal for you until you can return home. Check out YouTube for video tutorials.

Also, you could use FTP or Bluetooth to share files. Bluetooth doesn't require a Wi-Fi connection obviously, but it's slow to transfer large files. FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is a little more complex and requires a web server running on a host computer. You can get applications through App World that will allow you to transfer files from the PlayBook to the web server and visa versa.

The PlayBook does have built in Wi-Fi sharing capability and may be useful for you if you have access to a computer but don't have access to a USB cable.

Re-reading your question, I think a more simple solution is to purchase a mobile router to plug the USB dongle into and then your PlayBook (and cell phone) could access it as a Wi-Fi hotspot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_broadband_modem This is the modem my family bought to get Wi-Fi out at their rural farm location (works great) http://www.dlink.com.au/products/?pid=824

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Playbook going to Europe- CAN WE LINK A USB WEBSTICK to access the internet?

There are plenty of wifi sites throughout Europe that the PlayBook can connect through without problems.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook / Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Playbook going to Europe- CAN WE LINK A USB WEBSTICK to access the internet?

Very happy to have the playbook in Europe and will access the WiFi spots accordingly.

Sorry to hear that the operating system will not support a dongle with a wifi stick. 

I will explore the use of a mini router for the PB with the vodafone stick......

Thanks all.....

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: blackberry playbook, Q10
My Carrier: sprint

We have accessed video chat from the us to Oslo. And Russia with no problems from open networks. My wife is flying to Amsterdam Wednesday, we assume she can do the same without issues.