Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: n/a
Accepted Solution

Playbook is not getting connected with PC

Hi,

Even using latest Desktop SW Version 6 PC is not able to detect and sync/connect with playbook.

The desktop manager is saying "unknown device"..

Although playbooy is displaying the "connected with computer".

Pl. help me to sort this out.

It tried dffrent things as told by blackberry tech experts for more than 2 hours on phone but no success.

Thanks in dvance,

BR

Jimmy

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: NA

Re: Playbook is not getting connected with PC

Same thing here.  I have not been able to get the Desktop software to recognize my Playbook with it showing the same Unknown Device.

I have done clean uninstall/reinstalls of the software 4 times now (with Playbook disconnected during the install), and have tried both USB 2 and USB 3 ports on both front and back of my Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

In all cases I hear Windows beep when I connect/disconnect and the Playbook is showing that it is connected to computer, however the Desktop Software 6.1.0.36 (Bundle 38) does not identify the Playbook.

Blackberry Device Manager                 6.0.0.40

BBDevMgr                                            4.2.0.15

RIM USB Driver                                    4.2.0.14

RIM USB Serial Driver                          2.3.0.9

Playbook RNDIS Driver Interface         1.0.0.16

Application Loader                                6.0.1.33

Playbook loaded OS   1.0.8.6067   Build ID 91128

Any and all help appreciated before I decide to simply return this to the store and forget about ever touching Blackberry products.

Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

Try turning off the wifi before you connect...
And you can always transfer wirelessly if you really need to get files on/off
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: Sprint

I think I went into the options on the playbook.  The Gear looking thing and then close to the bottom it has storage.  There a switch to flip to turn on USB sharing.  My Windows 7 HP Laptop found the drivers for the device but, apparently you have to install the BB Desktop software to let your computer communicate with the tablet.  I wish it were like an Android device and just let us tell it to act like an external hard drive.  The current BB Desktop software reminds me an awful lot of Microsoft Zune software and we know what happened to them.  There are a few ideas I have on how to improve their software.  Heck, the BB Desktop software creates a few directories but, apparently it does you no good to put any pictures or videos in there and you can't add that folder that the software created to the list of folders to sync to.  Why in the heck did they even create the folders if you can't use them for anything.  RIM is impressing me with their un-intuitive software ideas for the PC and also for their Playbook.  I'm beginning to wonder if BB is going to get out of the tablet market since they have dropped their prices so much lately.  I'm sure they needed to do it to make their products more competitive from a cost stand point.  You can have good hardware but, if your software isn't good then why would a customer want to keep banging their head against the wall?

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: NA

Disabling the WiFi finally allowed the Desktop Software to connect via USB for setup and synching. 

Stupid though, that WiFi needs to be disabled to use USB (they were using different IP Addresses anyway).   At least with the Zune/Windows Phone, that is not an issue....but then there is a whole new OS coming in a few weeks....so who knows Smiley Happy

Thanks for the help reconeyes!

Visitor
My Device: Playbook 32g
My Carrier: Tellus

At least your getting somewhere.   Im on my second playbook now.  first one I got for christmas wouldnt even take a charge and after spending over 2 hours with customer support they finally determined that it was a defect.   NOW  witht the new one I have I cant get the darn thing to conect either,  I have my wifi on the playbook off, blue tooth is off, and even have it on airplane mode and still can get the darn thing to comunicate with my pc.  On top of that last two times Ive called customer support< I had a very hard time understanding/hearing the person.   I am getting extemely frustrated with this thing and almost wishing I never got it for christmas.   Anyone got any other Ideas besides the pwr - & + option? 

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Hi,

I tries by disabling WifFi,Bluetooth on PC as well as playbook.

Still on the PC desktop manager SW says "unknown device".

I tried by switching off PLAYBOOK and  connect  to PC.Then windows says"Driver not installed proprely-Device unplugged"

I am not sure how to proceed now.

Again I have latest version of desktop SW,Playbook OS and Windows 7 enterprise loaded.

Pl. Guide..

Thanks,

BR

New Contributor
My Device: 9670 Style & Playbook
My Carrier: MTS

If you also have a BB phone, disable bridging and turn-off Blue Tooth. May sure all connections for PB are off and only use USB cable. You may also have to uninstall and then reload Desk Top Manager onto PC.

I had same problem, took me 3 or 4 tries, I finally just made sure all possible connections where disabled other then the USB. This problem was the same on all three home computers, Windows desktop, older Viao laptop and an Mac laptop. Once I did this all three now work.

Good luck!

David

Take care!
David
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook Tablet
My Carrier: none

The other thing that I did that helped was to reboot the playbook.

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

i have the same problem..running windows 7 ultimate on my laptop,same message..however, connected to my sons xp computer and it worked fine!

seems to be a windows 7 problem, maybe vista as well.