Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: potential playbook buyer, have one question to ask
My Carrier: att
Accepted Solution

Playbook language support and some other questions

Hey guys,

I want to buy a tablet and after some research on various tablets on the market playbook seems the best one which meets my specific needs.

However there are a few issues of concern among which the biggest one is whether it supports Chinese Character display. I am fine with the English interface, but I hope it can display the chinese characters on webpages and in word documents and in txt documents correctly without giving me %%^%&&#% or black squares. I tried to google but did not find answers so if anyone can give me some insight on this i will really appreciate it.

Some other minor concerns are, whether there are apps which can open txt file, avi and rmvb format video? These are not as important as the Chinese display since i can always convert file format before transfering them to playbook but still it would be great if the playbook could handle them.

Thanks guys, any insight is appreciated.

Z

Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: no

Re: Playbook language support and some other questions

For your questions,

The Chinese words will show normally when you using browser, but not in "word to go", excel to go, or slide to go, or txt files....but it can work with PDF files. We are all waiting for language support for chinese and input for it.

It can play some kinds of videos, 3gp, avi, mp4... but it can not support rmvb and mkv(this high defination videos).

if they can meet your questions, please check resolved on. thank you.

George.

I will try my best to help you with the issue you get.
New Contributor
My Device: potential playbook buyer, have one question to ask
My Carrier: att

Thanks Geroge, your reply is very helpful. Weighing the pros and cons, I just decided to place an order. I guess i will just convert txt into pdf before transfering them on to the playbook before a language solution come into place.

One weird thing is, I just googled and seemed there is an IME? for Chinese input on playbook. It sounds weird- if the playbook can not display chinese charaters in word to go etc, can the users be able to know what they input there using their Chinese input IME?

The book will arrive in a couple of days, hope i can get use to converting every chinese docs into pdf before putting them in the book Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Z

Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: no

I got what you mean. But the main situation is, for now, it doesn't support chinese language...Actually, you can use IME to type in words, but it still display square or other unknown symbols...So we have to wait for the language support release for PlayBook.

Because I am also the one who is waiting for this...

I will try my best to help you with the issue you get.
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

hi Geogebika,
Can you please tell how to read Chinese in PDF files? Many many thanks.
Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

two ways:

- print to pdf  as fax image in adobe acrobat

- make sure the souces id unicode - plain unicode, and then print as pdf

the last option is available only i you have the latest update and the version x of the pdf reader

by the way with the new version of air browser you can browse any text file in unicode even if it is mixed with English, Chinese. I just upgrade mine a few minutes ago. have yet to try on simplfied chinese.

if you have other encoding, I'm afraid you would somehow have to convert them to unicode, possibly on the PC

I guess unicode encoding is probably the safest bet if you intend to use on playbook or other mobile devices