Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus

Playbook lost or stolen

Left my Playbook in the Ottawa Library yesterday; totally my fault.
Contacted Blackberry, regarding the fact it disappeared, and was not handed in, to determine whether the company had a register of owners. No, they don't and have only been thinking about it!

To me, that's not good enough, because my Serial No. is there, unalterable on the About screen. Why can't the Desktop Manager Software check that the User Name and Serial No match?

Would be an easy thing to set up, and would enable Blackberry to chase down, or make the machine inoperable, or whatever would eventually return the Playbook to its Registered Owner.

That, after all, is what I am, and have set up with Blackberry. Note that when I bought another one late yesterday, and started up the App Store, after entering my normal credentials, it offered me my old PIN. Good.
So, Blackberry, set this up. The machines are not cheap. Even if the browser is still the pits!

Contributor

Re: Playbook lost or stolen

Extra information: Apple keeps an ongoing registry of owner's name and serial number, contrast to RIM/Blackberry (That's what the lady on the phone stated yesterday: 'we're thinking about it'). That's according to a friend with an iPad2 who couldn't stop laughing when I regaled him with the story of how I had lost the seven incher.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

sorry to hear of your loss, it isnt anything easy when it comes to a lost device.

I know you want it blocked to prevent the sale of the unit.

I dont know of a way to do this yet.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

'I don't know of a way to do this yet' is a telling comment on the RIM management.

I realise you're not, I believe, one of them, but surely the value of a Playbook means that an Apple methodology should have been noticed and made available?

RIM returns lost or stolen goods because they have a working database. Love to read that on the Forums!

Sorry to go on about this, but I think about it, naturally, and my head expands! 

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I am just a volunteer here like most everyone else.

Hard part is people calling in and claiming it was stolen when in fact it was not stolen, then user has to wait for it to be reinstated which takes even longer or even worse some bad guys say it was stolen and now many people with non stolen hardware cant use it till they prove other wise. (my devils advocate working here)

It a tough issue either way.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 9300 and blackberry playbook

Sorry to hear about your lost PlayBook, Paulodactyl, can understand why you are so frustrated.

Seems odd they don't have a 'Backberry protect Ap' for the Playbook, the same as they do for the phones.

Contributor

Indeed, as my Torch 9800 is protected! Presumably, but I don't know, since I haven't lost it.

The Playbook is not protected, since I cannot find a similar application. That, to me, is a fundamental flaw in RIM's management office: which must be tiny, maybe one desk.

That I placed a notice in the Ottawa Library yesterday, that had been ripped off by today, implies either that the miscreant saw it, or the cleaning staff could not bear that the Library was maligned in any way.

My belief is that it's probably a student, or a rubbie: either way, all my passwords are now changed and, if it the lost item works then it won't for long, because they don't have all the little bits that allow one to connect to a computer. 

I will ask my friend with an iPad2 what app he has that saves him from my position. Will report.