Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook & Torch 9810
My Carrier: ATT

Playbook not charging, not even recognizing being plugged in!

Hi all!

I have a Playbook that I bought used off of eBay about 3 wks or so ago. It's been working great and I love it.

Last night it needed to be charged, so I turned it off and put it on the charger. This morning it was not charged and  a Google search has shown me that it cannot be charged while off.

So, I plug it in  with the charger it came with (from Blackberry with a yellow tip) and it does not register being plugged in. No lightening bolt over the battery. I try my Torch charger, nada. I try it on my desktop and my laptop. No lightening bolt. I wiggle and jiggle the connection, but it is not connecting or charging. Neither my desktop or laptop recognized anything being plugged in. I tried different cords, nothing.

Help please? Is the usb port dead?

Solutions: 6,395
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook not charging, not even recognizing being plugged in!

I do hope it's not the USB port.... do you know if ANY of those chargers are the higher powered 1.8amp output chargers?

Can you get a BlackBerry Rapid charger that connects to the magnetic port and test it for charging?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XBZ728/ref=asc_df_B004XBZ7282053783?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&li...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor

Oooo... I wondered what that little thing was next to the micro USB. I'd hate to spend $30 and not have it work though. If I push the USB in hard and hold it in, I am getting a red light followed by around 4-5 flashing green. But I can't sit and hold it in all the time. Fudge!
New Contributor

The plug in charger I have is 5V output.
Solutions: 6,395
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

cathiasplace wrote:
Oooo... I wondered what that little thing was next to the micro USB. I'd hate to spend $30 and not have it work though. If I push the USB in hard and hold it in, I am getting a red light followed by around 4-5 flashing green. But I can't sit and hold it in all the time. Fudge!

Do you think your USB plug is faulty then?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Perhaps the part on the Playbook. Do you think the rapid charger will charge it up? I don't need the PB to connect to the computer, but I do need it charged. Smiley Happy

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

If your PlayBook is in a case, remove it because some cases interfere with the full insertion of the plug. The yellow tip plug is slightly larger than the black tip plug and I am speaking from personal experience. If it is not in a case ignore what I just wrote. Check the connector in the PlayBook with a magnifying glass to see if nothing is bent out of shape. The plug will only go in one way. If it is forced in the wrong way, it will damage the connector. The RIM logo must be up.
New Contributor

Thanks! It is only in the silicone case it came with. I think I may have damaged the plug area when I had it plugged in on the bed. It has charged since, so I don't know why it has just stopped working. I will check it out with a magnifying glass to see if I can see any damage.

I went ahead and ordered the rapid charger, I hope it works!
New Contributor
My Device: playbook 32gb
My Carrier: cogeco

So disappointing and frrustrating.  I did all the stuff I read and nothing charges the playbook.  I ordered a rapid charger from ebay to see if that works.  Why should I have to do this?  How can this happen?   There are 100's of people with the same issue all over the internet and you tube.  Is there a walk-in clinic to get it charging again?  I threw out the box so does that mean I can't return or replace it? I'm still within my 90 days from walmart  It's been plugged in for over a week.  Can't even get one red light to keep my hopes up.  So pissed off...

New Contributor
My Device: playbook 32gb
My Carrier: cogeco

is a rapid charger the same as the charger that comes when you first buy it?  Did I just waste 20 bucks?