Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: playbook RDJ21WW
My Carrier: EE

Playbook overheated too hot to hold now dead

I have a playbook, only use to read books. over the weekend I switched it on and after about twenty minutes It was too hot to hold then the battery failed and now I cannot charge it, it is Dead.

I cannot get hold of the Support team. Can anyone help? Any Ideas?

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Re: Playbook overheated too hot to hold now dead

Not unusual to get hot if you have wifi on but away from a router,  like reading in a sunny garden. Will it recharge?

Always turn off wifi and bluetooth if you are standalone.

Sarah.
My Device: playbook RDJ21WW
My Carrier: EE

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for that, I was away from the house no Wifi or Blutooth on just reading a book. it became too hot to hold and i switched it off. when I tried to turn it o It showed the battery had gone down to 2%. I have tried to charge it but will not accept the charge or turn on.

Allan

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

The wifi search function is battery intensive.

See the hundreds of similar posts - can be awkward to get it back. 

First advice is leave it on charge as long as possible like overnight and next day whilst still on charge press power button for 20 seconds every hour

After that it's try rapid charger with the magnetic plug.

...then after that it's  take back off and try the battery strap connection which may have loosened with the heat.

...then I guess it's the trash can as battery replacement requires a full strip down (ifixit.com)

Sarah.
Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I did have a similar experience after I had downloaded an Android app. It got very hot so I shut it off, waited about 15 minutes and did a restart. I then did a delete of the Android app. This happened almost 2 years ago and it has not repeated itself. So I do not download Android apps.
I think with the battery run down so low, it will take several days to recharge because at 2 % the voltage is very low and the software to control the charging, recharges it very slooooow.
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z30 - BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell Canada

The same thing happened to me this afternoon. I know this discussion hasn't been active for a year now but I wanted to document my experience here.

We were out and my daughter was typing a document on Docs To Go on the PlayBook when it got very hot, it shut down and we were unable to start it again. It continued to get hotter till it was too hot to handle in spots. I heard the warning alarm indicate that the (almost fully charged) battery was now below 10% but there was nothing we could do. 

When I got it home it was still hot but cooling down. I figured the battery was now dead and whatever the problem was couldn't power itself any more.

I brought it to the basement an took the back off to see where the heat was coming from but it was hard to tell at that point. I plugged in the playbook and very quicly one of the chips on the motherboard got extremely hot. I wanted to post a picture here to show people which chip was but this board doesn't have that ability. The chip was about a third up from the bottom and in the L/R centre.

I did a couple of things so I'm not sure what worked. The two main things I did were to re-seat the connectors around the mother board (including disconnecting and reconnecting the battery) and to connect it to the computer instead of a charger plugged into the wall. Nothing much happened (no new life) but after I did that I was able to plug it into the wall and normal charging began without the chip over-heating. It seems OK now.

After reading here and in other places that there seems to be a connection between over-heating and WiFi, I will try to turn it off when I don't need it.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

It is sitting on my desk happily charging now and it seems to be working normally.

Ian
BlackBerry Z30 - BlackBerry Playbook