Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: T-mobile (UK)

Re: Playbook questions from new user

That's true and i strongly agree with you knottyrope.

I am going for the 7" ones as it is within my budget and it's a close fight between the Playbook and the Galaxy Tab.

Here in the UK the 10" Android tablets are really good (features, spec-wise, etc.) but prices start from GBP400 and up.

When my wife bought a BB Torch it reignited my love for anything Blackberry. and then i saw the Playbook. it seems promising. specs & features seems outstanding for a 7" tablet and i was attracted to the way the OS looks like and the way it multitasks.

but you said that the Playbook will soon have Android apps. how come? and how? and when? i thought RIM devices only have their own OS. 

are they embracing Android as well? and is it possible now to download Android apps onto the Playbook?

please say yes....and how? 

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

There is an android player that will allow apps to run in a sandbox and still access data.

It is coming this summer, no date has been released yet that I have heard of.

Developers can already play their andriod apps in the playbook. I dont know how yet, but since I dont develop it does not bother me yet. I can wait a lil bit.

They showed a few andriod apps at BBWC11 running with no modification to code. Also announced Angry Birds for PlayBook to. Ca Caw!!!

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor

Things are getting more exciting around here. suddenly, the iPad 2 and Galaxy tab (amongst others) are to my...EXTINCT!!!!

well, if one can play Android apps (albeit only 2.3 ones but i hope to include 2.2 as well) on the Playbook then that would mean we get to have the "best of both worlds" then. that's great isn't it?

Summer i hear? well, its not far off now. i suppose we can wait and i hope it will be worth the wait.

With new tablets coming out by Samsung, Sony, LG, Toshiba, Viewsonic et al i don't see any difficulty with RIM as their devices are known to be of hi-quality and innovative features.

with the Playbook coming to our UK shsores this June i hope Blackberry will step it up a gear, listen to consumers gripes and sugestions and improve on the OS and its features. 

and oh...what's a sandbox?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

gino_76ph wrote:

Things are getting more exciting around here. suddenly, the iPad 2 and Galaxy tab (amongst others) are to my...EXTINCT!!!!

well, if one can play Android apps (albeit only 2.3 ones but i hope to include 2.2 as well) on the Playbook then that would mean we get to have the "best of both worlds" then. that's great isn't it? Yes it is

Summer i hear? well, its not far off now. i suppose we can wait and i hope it will be worth the wait.

With new tablets coming out by Samsung, Sony, LG, Toshiba, Viewsonic et al i don't see any difficulty with RIM as their devices are known to be of hi-quality and innovative features.

with the Playbook coming to our UK shsores this June i hope Blackberry will step it up a gear, listen to consumers gripes and sugestions and improve on the OS and its features. 

and oh...what's a sandbox?

I used sanbox loosely, more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_(computer_security)

and

http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/24/rim-opens-up-blackberry-playbook-to-support-android-apps/

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Regular Contributor

So, do you think this Android thing is as good as 100% certain and final?

Will this mean by summer we will get Android apps for the Playbook and perhaps BB smartphones?

I'm just thinking if i buy the Playbook this June there will be very few apps to download (i've checked my commonly used Android apps on AppWorld and i can't find it there) and i will have to wait for a few more weeks if not months to wait...:-(

Can we not download Android apps directly from the internet now?

Or can we download apk's (of an Android app off another independent site) for the Playbook?

Guru III
My Device:

android apps once supported will be available in appworld for download. it was a big announcement, it will be there.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK
My Carrier: ICE

knottyrope wrote:

gino_76ph wrote:

I'm actually choosing between the Playbook (Wifi) and the Galaxy tab (Wifi). so not sure on some answers.

i have a few more questions though:

1.  can you rearrange apps on-the-fly? Not yet

Hi Knottyrope, correct me if i'm wrong please, but if you do a long press on an icon and then move it to another place, is that what this person is referring to as rearrenge?. Like when you long press to delete but instead of tapping the trash can you move the icon???

10. is there a way to kill or stop an app from running or loading?

* like a shortcut or a "kill switch" yes, swipe from bottom and click on x

You can also minimize and swipe up the app to close it Smiley Wink

15. any Swype functionality on the keypad? i dont understand.

I'm not sure what he means as well but you can pull up the keyboard if you swipe from the bottom left frame to the center of the screen and then close using the keyboard button

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

I don't agree on the Playbook is fully support Divx.  First of all, I have putted a .avi file and it can only show the video with sound.  2nd, it can't even play .rmvb type of file.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

I mean play .avi WITHOUT sound

Guru III
My Device:

[ Edited ]

I have 7 divx XviD movies, it might be the type of encoding that is used.

edit for dislexic memory