Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: T-mobile (UK)

Re: Playbook questions from new user

I heard about the Palybook OS 2.0 coming out this February. its in Beta stage at the moment but i think it will officially be released around next month. 

is anyone excited? especially with Android apps now allowed to be downloaded.

but i think RIM developers needs to get their heads straight and be a bit more "open" and agressive in their OS.

issues such as:

1. unlocked bluetooth for sending & receiving files to non-RIM devices (like what my Android can do to a BB Torch)

2. GPS chip (if any) to be activated & unlocked to make full use

3. deleting of ANY files (photo, songs, video) on any part of the device on-the-fly

4. extra options when viewing videos or listening to music like surround sound

5. improved business features like viewing PDF files (and attaching it to email) and.doc files built-in

any comments....?

a good hardware can only be good if the OS or software complements it very well.

Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

1. unlocked bluetooth for sending & receiving files to non-RIM devices (like what my Android can do to a BB Torch)

AGREED IT NEEDS TI BE MORE OPEN

IF GPS IS INSIDE DAMRIGHTS UNLOCK IT

3. deleting of ANY files (photo, songs, video) on any part of the device on-the-fly

THIS CAN ALREADY BE DONE USING ANY OF THE FILE EXPLORER AVALIABLE IN THE APP WORLD

4. extra options when viewing videos or listening to music like surround sound

THE SOUND CARD IN THE PB IS NOT 5.1 THUS MAKING ANY HOPES OF SURROUND SOUND IRRELEVANT

5. improved business features like viewing PDF files (and attaching it to email) and.doc files built-in

INTEGRATION OF CURRENT NATIVE APPS FOR THE PB IS KEY TO RIMS SUCCESS!!!

any comments....?

comment...all of issues you speak of are software related and if RIM's programmers are on the ball they will be remedied within the next six months. BBX revolution yall...8~)
Regular Contributor

I am not expecting the sound to be 5.1 surround but at least just "some sort" or stereo sound enhancment or something.

Integration to current native apps? you mean in-house/1st-party apps? well, i thought sucecess comes with compatibility & support from other companies and developers. 

e.g. Microsoft Office on the iPad. 

I think that is the key. greater cooperation & openness with others doesn't necesarilly mean  a bad thing. would you agree?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

gino_76ph wrote:

The GPS chip is already there an working very well, I use it often and that is without WIFI connection

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Regular Contributor

So, GPS even without 3G?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

gino_76ph wrote:

So, GPS even without 3G?

Yes, you can try COMPASS, it free and it work without any kind of connection, the others are payware, there is a lot of mapping program ON-DEVICE GPS MAP -OFFLINE MAP

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know you are all excited about the upcoming Playbook OS 2.0. and with very tempting offers at the moment the PB has just become my first priority after selling my Galaxy Tab a few months ago.

Without "speculating" what the Playbook OS 2.0 features are and based on the current & latest OS version can i ask:

1. is there now a workaround in transferring/sending fuiles (such as photos) to another non-Blackberry device? is there an app for that?

2. can i open multiple tabs in the browser? if not which browser can i use?

3. do i just n' drop files (such as .mp3, .mp4 or.avi files) to a folder? and which folder? any suggestions of a good multi-format media player for the PB?

4. is the speakers stereo and surround sound?

5. i've learned you can delete any files on the device on-the-fly. but where and how do i delete them exactly?

6. there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Youtube app. or am i blind? do i just go to the website? can i open multiple youtube websites?

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

gino_76ph wrote:

I know you are all excited about the upcoming Playbook OS 2.0. and with very tempting offers at the moment the PB has just become my first priority after selling my Galaxy Tab a few months ago.

Without "speculating" what the Playbook OS 2.0 features are and based on the current & latest OS version can i ask:

1. is there now a workaround in transferring/sending fuiles (such as photos) to another non-Blackberry device? is there an app for that?

2. can i open multiple tabs in the browser? if not which browser can i use?

3. do i just n' drop files (such as .mp3, .mp4 or.avi files) to a folder? and which folder? any suggestions of a good multi-format media player for the PB?

4. is the speakers stereo and surround sound?

5. i've learned you can delete any files on the device on-the-fly. but where and how do i delete them exactly?

6. there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Youtube app. or am i blind? do i just go to the website? can i open multiple youtube websites?

Thanks.

1.  Depends what method you use.  I hook up my Playbook to my Mac.  I can sync using the usual Blackberry Desktop Software or transfer via usb (there are instructions somewhere on connecting it so it appears as a device in your network on Finder)

2. Yes, use the browser that comes with it.  It's actually a great browser, and supports HTML 5 very well.

3. See answer to question 1.  Haven't investigated multi-format media players really. 

4. Believe so

5. Just like an Android device - find an Explorer-type app to manipulate files.  There are good ones.  My PB is at home so unfortunately can't reference one directly.  But ask again when you need.

---------
Developing Tony Stark's JARVIS System which we call the CYMAN System on the mac ... an app for it coming soon on the BlackBerry Playbook too!

If I've been able to help in any way, credit your friendly neighborhood developer $0.02 worth of kudos!