Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Playbook reset - 3 buttons don't work

So we are trying to wipe the playbook and pass on to another user for testing....however, the playbook automatically logs on to the wireless network but can't complete the registration because of the blackberry agreement and an issue with the proxy. So I hoped a reset would actually go back to factory settings but the 3 button +/-/power does not seem to work. Any other ideas? How can I get back to factory settings the way it came out of the box?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Playbook reset - 3 buttons don't work

If you wiped it, then it is ready.

the 3 button reset is like rebooting a PC.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

Pressing the power button for 10 seconds will have the same result as a reset.

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
New Contributor
My Device: Passport, Playbook

[ Edited ]

If you do a security wipe, the next time you start the playbook, it will start as if it was just new out of the box.  This means, it will start with downloading the latest software then it will run the setup/Blackberry ID process and if you do not have wifi, you will not be able to complete the process.

Also, when you do a security wipe, you will loose the demo video, Need For Speed and Tetris.  If you are not in a country in which Blackberry has licensed these games, you will not be able to redownload them on AppWorld.

I don't think it is possible to put the Playbook into an as new state and functioning, without going through the initial setup and logging in with a Blackberry ID.

Robert

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

chrispycrunch wrote:

Pressing the power button for 10 seconds will have the same result as a reset.

Sorry, no, that is not the same 'type' of reboot as the three-button reboot.

Two different things. Consider one like a soft reset and other like a hard reset.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

robsteve wrote:

If you do a security wipe, the next time you start the playbook, it will start as if it was just new out of the box.  This means, it will start with downloading the latest software then it will run the setup/Blackberry ID process and if you do not have wifi, you will not be able to complete the process.

Also, when you do a security wipe, you will loose the demo video, Need For Speed and Tetris.  If you are not in a country in which Blackberry has licensed these games, you will not be able to redownload them on AppWorld.

I don't think it is possible to put the Playbook into an as new state and functioning, without going through the initial setup and logging in with a Blackberry ID.

Robert

It actually is possible to do this by reloading the operating system using the BlackBerry Desktop Software.  When you do that, it wipes everything off the OS, but leaves the games and sample videos/pictures intact.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
My Device: Passport, Playbook

Krypto

I probably didn't make it clear enough in my post, but I was thinking the original poster wanted to get the Playbook to a new state and functioning, such as using the web browser and etc. Is there a way to get it to that state without running setup on the device and associating it with a Blackberry ID?

Robert
Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

robsteve wrote:
Krypto

I probably didn't make it clear enough in my post, but I was thinking the original poster wanted to get the Playbook to a new state and functioning, such as using the web browser and etc. Is there a way to get it to that state without running setup on the device and associating it with a Blackberry ID?

Robert

That's what I thought was being asked as well... but I think if you do a security wipe as you stated, the next user to get the device would complete the BlackBerryID, etc.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

And reloading the OS using the BlackBerry Desktop Software does just that. It deletes all personal data and resets the BlackBerry ID and everything. Or at least it did the last time I did it. It was essentially the same as starting with a factory refreshed box.

If you don't care about deleting sample videos and pictures, then the easiest way is via a security wipe by going to Options > Security > Security Wipe. But if you do want to leave the sample videos an pictures and the preloaded apps intact (i.e. do a factory reset), then reload the OS. Once the device reboots, you'll notice you have to go through the entire setup process again.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

So, thanks to all for the excellent feedback. I have resolved the issue and thought I would share more information. We have discovered an issue on startup with logging into our secure wireless network that has an impact on a reset.

When you first set up the playbook, in our environment, there is no opportunity to set the proxy. When it connects and tries to bring down the blackbery agreement, it is unable to complete. There is no way to cancel this as the playbook sees the wifi network; it simply can't connect to the Internet. On initial startup, if you are aware of this problem, you can edit the wifi settings and force the proxy and then it will work, but most users don't know to do this.

Unfortunately, a hard 3 button reset does not wipe the wifi settings. This is what I was hoping for.

The only way for us to resolve this was to move the playbook to a network without a required proxy, where the blackberry agreement could complete dureing setup. Once we did that, we could complete the setup with no issues.

So the learning is that the wifi settings are not wiped with a reset. I hope this can be improved in the future.

I know we have also reported to RIM the issue with our proxy setting as the other bad behavior we see as a result is that if the proxy is set, the bridge software does not work, although one can browse the Internet. On the other hand, if the proxy is not set, the bridge (and related functions) work fine but browsing does not. For now, we have to manually edit the wifi settings and turn the proxy off and on, depending on what we are trying to do.

Hope this helps close this issue. Thanks again for the help.