Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: T Mobile

Playbook screen timeout problem - add "Never" please (as would be useful for GPS mapping apps)

[ Edited ]

Hi 

I am new to this forum !   I am using some GPS mapping apps (eg Map Droyd) but they all suffer from the fact that the screen timeout kicks in (max 5 minutes).which is very inconvenient to say the least and at worst dangerous if when driving you are using the maps and then need to reopen the app from the dormant screen

So this is a message to RIM.......... can you include a "Never" option in the screen timeout

Unless someone has got a good workaround for this ???

Thanks !

Peter

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Playbook screen timeout problem - add "Never" please (as would be useful for GPS mapping apps)

We have been requesting that for years. However the app writers can add the option easily, as in the Photoframe pro app, and the Backlight Override browser, so it does not need to be a global option for the playbook. If the app developer is ignorant of the code, suggest it using the support link.

Mean time, can't you reach across and swipe your finger down the screen without taking your eyes off the road? 

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: T Mobile

Re: Playbook screen timeout problem - add "Never" please (as would be useful for GPS mapping apps)

Fair point !   But "caressing the screen" as someone elegantly described it (!) is not a satisfactory method........... you forget at times and then it means going thru Honeycomb Launcher again for some apps if they have gone dormant which is more than just a screen stroke or two.... and all while you are driving

But I will put the suggestion to Map Droyd and some other app developers

Good to know that it can be a straightforward bit of coding to those who know about these things

Thanks