Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Tesco

Playbook setup issues and resolution - hope this helps

I had my first Blackberry Playbook delivered 20/02/2012 in UK. Rapidly apparent there were major problems with initial setup. Simple things like choosing an appropriate time zone from a very small inscrutable list e.g. Mexico (-5) etc. and no mention of UK or GMT. Had to set manually.

Then the fun started. Would not connect to my router with WEP. Removed WEP and left open and then connected. Appeared to get an Internet connection but had to do much of the setting manually as no IP or DNS set by the tablet. However managed to get a Blackberry ID. The next stage was the so called compulsory and unavoidable update procedure. This failed after a few minutes with "Couldn't activate this tablet. (3001)" error. Tried restarts etc with no result.

Downloaded the Blackberry software from their site and tried the update from the PC via mini USB connection. This eventually failed with "serious error". At this point returned tablet following day and got another.

Almost identical scenario to above. As a last resort tried update via a different PC and 1.5 hrs later it succeeded. The previous "serious error" I then found was due to a shortage of drive space on the first laptop PC. Changing to another one removed that issue. You will need several GB to at least to do this update from a PC.

The other factor was that I did this on 22/02/2012 the day of release of OS2 which is what was eventually downloaded and installed. Much improved but time zone slection still not clear - why can't it say GMT or some such for UK? However seemed this time to set the date and time properly this time itself although the time zone it chose didn't mean much to me. The whole setup process seems much more smooth and elegant and more to the point works. The keyboard now includes digits when called up for setting passwords which makes setting easier. Altogether everything seems to be a tad more thoughtful and helpful. Well not 100%. The Wifi setup will not connect to my router with WEP as before but seems OK and solid with open or WPA2/TKIP security.

The Blackberry Playbook after a ridiculous struggle to get it working may well turn out to be a really nice piece of kit. I am fortunately well versed in IT matters after many years working in computer education and networking. I was really struggling to get round the initial issues. How on earth would the average end user who simply want's a solution to work out of the box cope with all that? Apparently there was a recall before Xmas in the US because of these issues but no apparent knowledge of thsi in UK. The "tech guys" at Currys/PCWorld hadn't a clue about the product or setup issues with older stock. In 2 stores non of them could could show me the demo model connected via wifi to their store network. There were other makes e.g. Samsung Galaxy 10.1 etc which were connected. I took a chance with it as the discounted price of £249 for the 64GB model vs list price of £559 was too good to pass up if I could get it working.

The jury is still out re how good or otherwise it is but it seems promising. Hope this helps get you setup.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810/Playbook
My Carrier: AT & T

Re: Playbook setup issues and resolution - hope this helps

How did you get help with your WiFi set up? I am having trouble with my set up. Everything was fine and then it wasn't. I can see my WiFi but it will not connect. It keeps talking about the password. However my password has never changed. HELP!!!!!!!Smiley Frustrated

New Contributor

Try temporarily removing any security by changing the router to open or no security. Switch off Playbook and then on again. See if it finds the new open wfi connection just to check you can get a connection.

Reset router back to WPA2/TKIP reset password and save settings. Then switch off Playbook and on again. Select your wifi network and it will at some point say you aleady have that SSID "do you want delete the old one". Say yes stick you password in and hopefully should work. It seems that old settings can be "sticky" and best to remove and start again.

As noted WEP didn't work for me but WPA did.

I am assuming you have the new OS2? If not you can get it as described in original post.

Good luck.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810/Playbook
My Carrier: AT & T

Thank you so much for your reply. It didn't work, sadly enough. I'm not sure what else to do next. I hate that this is happening. I just purchased this a couple of weeks ago and was about to upgrade my 9800 to the 9810. I'm not so sure that I want to keep doing business with BB. I LOVE BB which is why with all of my friends and family going to the Droid and IPhone side of things, I am still choosing BB. Maybe not such a smart idea. (Frown)

New Contributor

Did it not even connect with no security? If it didn't then maybe send it back. Tried BB tel support which I believe is quite good.
Are you using OS2?
Can you connect to your router with anything else? e.g. 9800
If it worked obviously something has been altered or broken. Can you try it with a friends router or at a hotspot. If it doesn't work there its faulty or unreliable. If it does then your router is suspect. Also try looking whether not it gets an IP address from your router. tap the wifi icon and selection the wifi option from drop down.
I would try removing all security and setting up the BBP manually see if that works. There are reports that BBP doesn't get on reliably with all older routers.
Good luck. If non of this works return it.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: BB

I am able to connect with wifi but during the software update part it shoots a error 1001 Smiley Sad I am not that sound with these gadgets and technologies.....can someone help me in step by step procedure please ?

Any help well appreciated.
New Contributor

You are unlikely to update succesfully via Wifi if my experience is anything to go by.

Your best bet is to (if you have access to a PC with internet access otherwise find a friend who has one) download the Blackberry PC software that is available from their site and install on the PC.

Connect the Playbook via the USB.miniUSB cable and use the PC software to update to the new OS2 via the PC.

Make sure you have plenty of space on your PC for the download as it is verfy large. If not enough space it will fail when it unzips the download to execute it via the PC software. The PC software will do everything for you from then on.

The process will take a long time so be patient. My experience is that trying to update via a Wifi only connection doesn't work. In OS2 the main issues seem to have been resolved and although I haven't used the Playbook much it seems very sound now and all aspects seem to work OK. Further software updates and downloads will then work OK via Wifi.

It appears that in the initial OS1 many parts of the OS were very flaky and simply did not work properly.

Good luck. HTH.

John