Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

Playbook suddenly can't find any wi-fi network

I bought a Playbook months ago, I updated the OS a few weeks.  All the while using my home wi-fi network and able to scan and see all available networks.  All of a sudden, weeks after getting new OS and using, my Playbook no longer can find any wi-fi network.  Just get the green circle and comment, "Finding Available Networks" but the Playbook remains hung in that mode.  Could be the wifi antenna or the software I figure.  I have not tried wiping and starting over yet.  I downloaded the desktop software and backed up so may give that a try as nothing else has worked.

Regular Contributor
My Device: curve
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Playbook suddenly can't find any wi-fi network

this has happened to me once or twice. after much trial and error, I have found that the easiest fix other than a wipe is to do the following;
- remove any saved networks
- turn off wireless antenna
- reset PB (hold volume up and down keys while holding power button)
- turn on wireless

let me know
New Contributor

Thanks very much for the rapid response and thought.  Unfortunately, its a no-go.  Still getting hung with green wait symbol and Finding Available Networks message but none come up.  On one positive note, the bluetooth is working fine, able to find and connect devices.  Wi-fi is just hanging looking but unable to find networks all other devices can.

Regular Contributor

ok. Dumb question. Can you reboot your wireless router? or have you tried this? can your phone find your network?
New Contributor

Fair question and yup I have rebooted my router.  My blackberry phone and my laptop can both find the wi-fi signal.  its definitely a playbook issue.  thanks again.

Regular Contributor

ok well last resort is to wipe and restart then. sorry i couldn't help more
New Contributor

will give it a try and let others know, i may call rim first though

New Contributor

Called support, we did a reload of the OS, still did not work.  Could not find wi-fi netowrks to initialize.  RIM is going to take it in and if they cant fix, they will replace.  If you have not registered for support, which i had not, they will register you on the call.

As an aside to reload the software without wi-fi,

download the desktop software to your laptop or PC, backup your stuff

turn off the playbook by holding the power button down for several seconds. (make sure you have battery life)

with the desktop software running, plug in your turned off playbook to your laptop via USB

QUICKLY when an error message appears, click the Update button.  You have about 3 seconds to do this.

That should kick off download and install, Playbook remains off but you see it running on laptop.  This took a half hour and still did not fix my problem.  I am sharing because I did think it was good info for down the road perhaps.

New Contributor

Re: Playbook suddenly can't find any Wi-fi network

Blackberry sent me a return mailbox with a decent amount of paperwork and a Fedex number; I went to the local Fedex office and spent a half hour with the clerk filling stuff out.; She indicated that she sees 2-3 playbook returns a day and that one of the key pre-sent forms has the wrong US zip code; Make sure you check the zip codes on the pre-filled out forms; Four days later I got my playbook back, working correctly, able to find Wi-fi networks; Blackberry is making it tough to love them. Good luck to any and all who have a Wi-fi can't find any networks problem; Save yourself some headache and call Blackberry help immediately.

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

Hi
Just had the same problem. The three finger salute worked great.
Thanks.
And I do like the Playbook.