Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: 0
My Carrier: Verizon

Playbook sync to outlook?

[ Edited ]

Pre-purchase Question:

Can Playbook sync with Outlook 2010: Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes directly through USB? Do not want "sky". Do not want to have to link through some intermediary program. Want a direct link to Outlook which will update Outlook & Playbook each time it is plugged in.

Thanks,

Tony

<Personal Information Removed>

[Edited - Personal Information. Please read your messages]

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Playbook sync to outlook?

tonyjs wrote:

Pre-purchase Question:

Can Playbook sync with Outlook 2010: Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes directly through USB? 

No.

tonyjs wrote:

Do not want "sky". 

I don't even know what "sky" is in your reference, to comment on why'd you want to not want that.

tonyjs wrote:

Want a direct link to Outlook which will update Outlook & Playbook each time it is plugged in.

Sorry, again, no. There is NO tablet of which I am aware which syncs directly to Outlook (not the iPad, Tab or Xoom). Your personal account BlackBerry handheld device WILL sync directly to Outlook when connected for calendar, contacts, tasks and notes, and business or BES accounts using enterprise mail will do so for messages.

Honestly, I think you need to reconsider your demands. The Playbook will serve you well, but with your demands, you'll be doing without any tablet (at least for now). Your "outlook" actually contains email messages from some email server... gmail, yahoo, a private domain, and THOSE domains are what we should be talking about for messages -- not Outlook.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for your response

"SKY" is a loosly used term to define what happens when you sync with g-mail or whatever is out there that the Smart phones sync to. It is over-the-air technology. That mothodology puts all your personal info and passwords on Microsoft's computers, or Google's computers, etc. The main reason for this is for them to look at your data and then send you customize ads. Google has had their database compromised twice recently. I do not want anything in the way of my data on some corporate computer.

Windows 7 mobile links through Windows Live to their computers. Why would anyone want all your bank info and

passwords stored on anyone else's computer but yours!

As to the email, that is the least of my wishes. It is the other elements of Outlook: Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Notes.

I keep waiting for something to come along (tablet or smartphone) to replace an old HP PDA.

Thanks for the response,

Tony

Tony, I think you're referring to "cloud" services. Yes, now I understand your terminology.

BlackBerry does not use cloud computing to store your personal information, UNLESS you ask for that.

Right now, your contacts and messages are stored ON YOUR home PC, and your handheld BlackBerry Smartphone, if you so choose. Those other elements of Outlook -- Address Book, Calendar, Tasks and Notes/Memos -- sync beautifully to the handheld BlackBerry smartphone, via a USB cable connected between the two.

Now, on the Playbook, if you want your contacts, calendar, tasks and memos on your Playbook, that can be had via a connection to your BlackBerry Smartphone. In a month or two, BlackBerry will have a soltion to store those contacts , calendar, tasks and memos ON the Playbook.

Remember one thing about ANY tablet: is NOT intended to replace a home PC or laptop, but is an extension of your home PC or laptop, and that applies to iPads and Xooms and Playbooks.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

You might want to look at SyncML clients. That might do what you want. However, there are not any SyncML clients for the PlayBook. Maybe one once the native SDK becomes available.
My Device: PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Telus

If your organization is using Microsoft's Exchange server, you can take advantage of Outlook Web Access and access your email, calendar and contacts, notes etc using your PlayBook's browser. You dont need to sync your PlayBook with a USB cord to do this -changes are sync'd automatically. This doesnt exactly answer your question, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you're using the MS Exchange server.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today went to the Verizon store and played with the w7 phone. No Outlook! Really strange. The salesman said he didn't want to sell me something that I'd end up bringing back. He said that they have had the phone for 2 wks and they discovered that it won't sync with any of the Outlook elements. He did say the W7 phone op sys is great. Much better than the Blackberry. His words, "It rocks." And one customer bought the MS Phone 7 and came back looking for help, because the phone would not sync through USB to his computer.

On a Microsft forum I asked this same question about Outlook syncing with their Microsoft phone 7, and the responses there are more intense as these folks have already invested in the Phone 7, and are very upset at finding no way to sync to Outlook except for cloud technology.

By the way, I am retired working P/T locally, so no exch server.

All I want to do is sync directly to Outlook and get any updates across to the other  without inhailing so much polution & smoke in the clouds.

Tony <Personal Content Removed>

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790 & Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Well I must say I am disappointed.  My blackberry will sync with my outlook contacts and calendar, but a playbook will not, only via bridge wiht the phone itself.

The problem with bridge is that you must have a phone with 5.0 O/S or higher.  I have an 8330 Curve with 4.5.

So I am out of luck.

Are there any plans in the future to make this happen?

Rob

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

OS2 is suppose to have native email and such.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.

RobEh wrote:

Well I must say I am disappointed.  My blackberry will sync with my outlook contacts and calendar, but a playbook will not, only via bridge wiht the phone itself.

The problem with bridge is that you must have a phone with 5.0 O/S or higher.  I have an 8330 Curve with 4.5.

Yes, all this has been widely known since April.

And as Aandras stated, RIM has stated this should be included in the February 2012 OS2 upgrade.

Knowledge Base Updates