Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: curve 9330/Playbook
My Carrier: verizon

Re: Playbook sync to outlook?

Okay we have said a lot of things in all of the responses and I guess I want to make sure I understand the request and the possible solutons.

The request - Would like the ability to sync PB date and contact information with office client contact and calendar information.

Solutions:

1. import information from outlook client into a web based email service and then establish that calendar and contact information as part of email account that can be established in a native application. If the individual wants native email then there would be two accounts; one for the emails and one for the calendar and contacts.

2. Use the blackberry bridge function and sync your BB (as one does today) using the DM application. In this scenario the BB becomes a mediation device between the PB and the Outlook client.

Either solution works and I think it comes down to user comfort.

I am not a cloud lover especially since Google has rolled out rheir new privacy policy, but I am not sure that their formally stating the policy is not just pulling the covers off of what the industry has been doing for years.

While as individuals we may not have or want clouds that hold our selective or personal data, but i can assure you that anything we are sending is being stored somewhere by someone.

The way that RIM is operating it the way Rockwell did when it went from being a technical company to a consumer company. RIM is creating services and features that it takes heavy users and people with some savvy to manage through.

Does anyone really believe that Aunt Sally would be able to do Option 1 if she is use to just pointing and clicking? Option 1 is like the old setting the clock on VCRs.

I am not arguing for one or the other because the users are very diverse. I was just trying to put all of the suggestions into what my viable options are. Right now I am using both options.... I figure habits and usage will identify which one works best for me....

Contributor
My Device: Passport.
My Carrier: Rogers

...me thinks that the real solution many people like myself want is to be able to connect my PB, by some means (USB, Bluetooth, or WiFi) to MY desktop PC and synchronise MY Outlook user data to the appropriate places in the PIB applications on MY Playbook.

No clouds, no Googles, no RIMS or anyone or anything else in between, no pointing clicking or anything else required at any point other than at initial configuration...plain and simple.

Again, as I've noted a few times before...been doing it with Windows PDA's and Outlook for many, many years...surely it can't be that difficult to do for RIM.

Not everyone has Outlook connected to Exchange, and not everyone (including me) has a BB phone to bridge their PB with (mainly because RIM is napping and hasn't built the smartphone to suit my needs - or has had it on the wrong network).

A one size fits all approach does not suit all current and potential customers. Apparently none of the other tablets (there are others) do this either, so why wasn't and can't RIM be the first to do it?

Waterloo...zzzzzzz
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790 & Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

@Torontom

I agree 100%.

For years Blackberry has been the leader for buisness' and connectivity with Exchange Servers.

But they need to realize their maket share is shrinking at a dramatic rate and need to look outise the box and see what people want and need from their phone and tablets, now and in the future.  It is a very fast and changing enviroment.  If you don't grow and move with it you will die.

RIM, its a wake up call!

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32G

Well, I did the hotmail account and hotmail connector and it worked great on the pc, then I linked the hotmail account on my PB for synching just the contacts and voila, nothing showed up on my PB contacts list!  I must have something set wrong on the PB itself, anyone have any ideas on how to get them to synch now that the address's are at the hotmail account!

thanks

t

Contributor
My Device: zed10
My Carrier: bell

might be a topic for another thread!
Developer
My Device: 16GB Playbook, 64GB Playbook, Bold 9000 and 9900 Bold
My Carrier: Orange (UK)

With the changes to Google Privacy I suspect there will be a lot of fallout over the lack of tablet synchronisation to desktop outlook for users without access to Exchange Server.  It would be interesting to discover on a global level how many PB users exclusively use standalone outlook for their email, contacts and calendar funtions and how many are commercial users with access to Exchange Server.  In any event, with the ever groing concerns of PRIVACY or the lack of in my opinion RIM should 'steal the march' on the competitors and introduce a solution a-la the BB Desktop sync for phones for the PB and close the Privacy and Security concerns before users migrate elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/bb_zealot
Contributor
My Device: zed10
My Carrier: bell

>> It would be interesting to discover on a global level how many PB users exclusively use standalone outlook
I'd guess at least 1 in 10... so that would make at least fifty of us!
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32G

well now, I know I inserted myself into the thread in the middle, and couldnt get my PB to synch the contacts, but finally this afternoon, using hotmail and the Outlook Connection as recommended in an earlier posting (thanks very much by the way to Martin for the excellent directions) the addresses showed up on the blackberry.  I dont know why the big lag in synching but who am I to argue.  Now the PB has calendar synch on gmail and contact synch on hotmail and emails direct, so I think this could be a good thing going forward.  I agree with the other writers, there should be someway to synch contacts via the USB cable directly to the PC for us lowly single users, RIM needs to learn a few things from Apple but I think by trying to get back to their true target market, the business user, with OS2 they are moving in the right direction and frankly, I will support a Canadian firm anytime.  Lets see what comes out next now, a phone app?

thanks

tony

New Developer
My Device: 2 x PlayBook, 3 Z10, 1 Q10, 1 DAC
My Carrier: a Norwegian

I know a lot of people who uses a standalone outlook and not an exchange and all these people want and need a sync without using any cloud software.
why is RIM so blind to see that? why are they making it more complicated than needed?
I am a teammember of a big german speaking blackberry forum and there are more than 8000 playbook users and nearly 4000 uses a standalone outlook and don't want to use a cloud for syncing their contacts and appointments. A lot of them a business men/women and they really think about security and do not trust in any cloud.
All these people feel like betrayed by RIM. They think RIM has lost his sight of security by prefairing any cloud.
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 2
My Carrier: Verizon

While there are many thoughtful posts here, maybe we should just cut to the chase: I can sync my BB Torch with Desktop Manager. Why does RIM refuse to allow me to do the same thing with my PlayBook? Now - wasn't that easy?