Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

Re: Playbook will not Back up!

[ Edited ]

People are reporting that a fresh Blackberry Desktop Software installation allow sthem to backup on a machine never touched by BlackBerry before.

This suggests one of two things and presents a third possibility.

Either it is a problem with RIM saving to the User Profile - in which case another user account would work fine.  This would mean an entry saved under the HKCU in the registry or somewhere in C:\Users\%username% most likely under application data or the temp folders.

If it is not user specific, and a new user doesnt fix it - it is an HKLM setting or something saved either to C:\Windws, C:\Program Files\Common Files or C:\Users\All Users.

Obviously its how BB is handling their software.  Will they fix it?  If they cared, they would have a long time ago.  It only seems to kill app backups so chances are its some stupid XML file they put on your PC that cache's your apps and it errored because of poor programming (bad error trap).

Based on that:

1 - Create a temporary new user, log into it, use BDM from there.

If it fails:

2 - Download VirtualBox etc.  Create a fresh 'temporary' Windows image

3 - install everything you need for BB minus BDM.  Take a snapshot.

4 - Install BDM.  Take a snapshot

5 - Backup your Playbook and copy the backup to your real backup location

Next backup, simply revert snapshots until one of the two works.  Meanwhile, I'm going to go clean rim junk out of my registries and check my user profiles to see what they bunked up

~k

Developer
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

Correction. Tried on my system once quickly. Found this in my computers Event Log:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

Looks like something the Desktop Manager does causes the HD Controller for the Playbook to freeze up maybe? That would explain why the backup tool suddenly says it can't find the drive.
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

I had the same trouble with backup - my phone backed up with no difficulties, but my playbook would start to back up and then stop with error messages.  It also caused me to be unable to sync my music with itunes.

In the end, I chose to reset and reload the factory OS.

The time it took was the better part of an hour.  Now, everything works - music sync, backup, etc.

I did lose some materials because I forgot transfer my files to my PC before proceeding.

These are instructions I followed. 

They worked and within an hour, I was able to re-download all my apps and everything was back to normal.

The problem was clearly with the playbook - not the desktop software.

Hope this helps.

C

Restoring the PB to factory default.

1. Open PB Desktop Manager

2. Connect PB to PC

3. Once connection is established go to "Help" should show no updates

4.  Hard restart PB pressing power button and select "restart"

5. Once restart has begun Desktop Manager will display a popup window "option to Update" select update

6. This will take a long time approximate 15-20 minutes while the Original OS is downloading from RIM server

7. Follow on screen instruction at end

The original factory install will have been restored (all images, videos original games etc) . You need to re-initialize the PB from the start, just as if you just got it home from your store purchase.

NOTE: a security wipe does not restore the PB to factory Original.

Hope this helps

eastcoastcreative

Contributor
My Device: Playbook wifi 64GB
My Carrier: none

With the latest PlayBook O/S update I have had no problem backing up. Unlike before were I would often get an error message and have to retry the backup, sometimes retry more than once to get it to work. I have not had to do anything other than upgrade to the latest update to have a successful backup. Perhaps the backup problem has now been fixed, at least for me. however its still early days and I only backup once every 2 weeks, or even less if I don't plug in for a while.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

On my Playbook for the past 2 months, everytime that I connect it using USB, it does connect with the Desktop Manager, but when I go to set what I would like to back-up I get a red message "LOADING OF BACKUP CONTENT FAILED" and then if I try to acces the files or any of the media using the Desktop Manager it tell me " A PROBLEM OCCURED WHILE ATTEMTING TO CONNECT TO YOUR BLACKBERRY DEVICE", but the funny part is that I can access it using the Windows Explorer

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

Screw Playbook... I had 2 of them before I posted this original message.  After MONTHS of waiting for this to be fixed and for them to get connect to Android... I grew tired of the BS.  Now, I still own 1 Playbook (i let my toddlers use it mostly)- But I got rid of the other one in lieu of an Apple Ipad2. 

I was against Apple until after I had a Playbook... Now I am a HAPPY APPLE CUSTOMER.

I have a MBA and a PhD in Business. If there is one thing I learned while in school... Companies NEED US!!! I even wrote a report on how GREAT Blackbery was while learning in my PhD classes.  WHAT A WAIST!!! They completely ignored this original post.  They compeltely ignored out phone calls... and they have repeatedly misled us with regards to Google Android, etc.

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: sprint

I have beena blackberry for many years and i couldn't wait for the playbook. I had some apprehension being a new product but I was willing to take that leap of faith being it was a blackberry. I am not quite to the anger you are yet but I am getting there. I am still not able to back up my playbook and that is unacceptable. I was expecting RIM to really jump on accelerating the release of apps and movies but things are at a stand still. Now i have read that they are already working on a larger model playbook. I do like the playbook but if Ihad it to do all over again...and it hurts me to say this but i would have bought the ipad 2 instead. I have friends and family with the ipad and they don't have the issues the playbook is having. Sorry RIM...but you probably aren't listening anyways.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

edokes wrote:

Screw Playbook... I had 2 of them before I posted this original message.  After MONTHS of waiting for this to be fixed and for them to get connect to Android... I grew tired of the BS.  Now, I still own 1 Playbook (i let my toddlers use it mostly)- But I got rid of the other one in lieu of an Apple Ipad2. 

I was against Apple until after I had a Playbook... Now I am a HAPPY APPLE CUSTOMER.

I have a MBA and a PhD in Business. If there is one thing I learned while in school... Companies NEED US!!! I even wrote a report on how GREAT Blackbery was while learning in my PhD classes.  WHAT A WAIST!!! They completely ignored this original post.  They compeltely ignored out phone calls... and they have repeatedly misled us with regards to Google Android, etc.

Waht does your waist have to do with this?

Might want to invest in a speel checker app Smiley Wink

Sorry to see you are so upset and RIM does not help much on the community forum. its other users like your self helping others.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

vbkelly wrote:
I have beena blackberry for many years and i couldn't wait for the playbook. I had some apprehension being a new product but I was willing to take that leap of faith being it was a blackberry. I am not quite to the anger you are yet but I am getting there. I am still not able to back up my playbook and that is unacceptable. I was expecting RIM to really jump on accelerating the release of apps and movies but things are at a stand still. Now i have read that they are already working on a larger model playbook. I do like the playbook but if Ihad it to do all over again...and it hurts me to say this but i would have bought the ipad 2 instead. I have friends and family with the ipad and they don't have the issues the playbook is having. Sorry RIM...but you probably aren't listening anyways.

Have you seen the apple backup issues?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

Well I invested in a "speel" checker app... but it was for my IPAD.  Unfortunately, the Blackberry Appworld only has 7 available apps and neither is a "speel" checker. 

Now, knottyrope, knottyrope, knottyrope...  please don't point out my mispelled words. We all make mistakes when we type.  Case in point is your- "waht, instead of what" and your "speel instead of Spell". 

Lastly knottyrope.... here's something you should understand about this problem.

1. RIM has a rep that monitors the forums and reports back... they even monitor news articles and sometimes POST.

2. I and SEVERAL others have CALLED RIM about this problem.

3. If all of our playbooks have this issue... then the CEO's playbook does the SAME THING!!

They know it's screwed up! They just choose not to fix it.  This is the perfect example of poor business practices.