Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Playbook will not Back up!

[ Edited ]

edokes wrote:

Well I invested in a "speel" checker app... but it was for my IPAD.  Unfortunately, the Blackberry Appworld only has 7 available apps and neither is a "speel" checker. 

Now, knottyrope, knottyrope, knottyrope...  please don't point out my mispelled words. We all make mistakes when we type.  Case in point is your- "waht, instead of what" and your "speel instead of Spell". 

Lastly knottyrope.... here's something you should understand about this problem.

1. RIM has a rep that monitors the forums and reports back... they even monitor news articles and sometimes POST.

2. I and SEVERAL others have CALLED RIM about this problem.

3. If all of our playbooks have this issue... then the CEO's playbook does the SAME THING!!

They know it's screwed up! They just choose not to fix it.  This is the perfect example of poor business practices.

So you did notice my mistakes, nice.

7 apps? really? what country are you in?

I had the backup issue also from deleting an app, but i was able to reslove it from the forums and with many persoanl trials.

here is my trick again in case it was not seen.

First I would like you to do a selective Back Up of media and settings of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

This can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the Back Up is complete I need you to unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

knottyrope!!!!! Thanks, lol.  I will check this out later.  Oh and by the way to all of those following these posts, I am not angry!  I just write VERY dramatically.  I love the fact that I have 2 tablets but because I have two, the faults of one will always stand out in comparison.  The lack of apps and the lack of attention ot problems that consumers are addressing bothers me.  It's a big "no no" in business.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700; Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

I have only had my Playbook for a couple of weeks and was trying to do my first backup this evening. I got the same error message that has been mentioned above i.e. device not connected etc.

After pondering the situation for a while and trying several different ways of reconnecting the PB to the PC, I realized that my Playbook wifi was on. Once I turned wifi OFF on the PB  the backup process proceeded as smooth as silk.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700; Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

I must confess that I thought I had a solution to my problem of backing up my PG by disabling wifi, but alas, I tried another backup this evening to see if it would work and pfft.

So, it's back to square one and debugging for RIM.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I followed knottyrope's procedure with one small deviation - as Backup didn't work, I could not use the BB Desktop software to do a selective backup. instead, I backed up all files by connecting the PlayBook to my PC, and copying all publicly visible directories (Book, Documents, Music, Videos, ...) to my PC. Then, following knottyrope's procedure:

"... I need you to unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World."

And that did it - Backup is confirmed working again :-D

It took about 30 minutes to download the OS, and another 15 to install it.I don't know whether that's typical, just reporting it for the record. I'm not sure what level of the OS downloaded, but on first startup of the PlayBook, it downloaded an updated to the current OS (about 33MB, to 1.08.4985; when my PB first installed this upgrade, it came in at a little over 90MB);  All told, this could take a bit of time, but getting the backup working again is sure worth it.

Restored the data files I had copied to my PC by copying them back. As expected, all application settings were not restored using that approach; perhaps a selective restore using the BB Desktop software, as suggested in knottyrope's procedure, would have handled that.

knottyrope: THANK YOU!!!!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

your welcome

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 , Playbook 32G
My Carrier: Rogers

FOUND A FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found on another site the issue with backup not working was.....

PC Recipe Box

Delete app and backup will work.  Hopefully that works for everyone else.

Cheers,

Brian

My Device: Playbook & Curve 9300

lol
Works for me. Removed PC Recipe Box and back up no problem.
Thanks Brian!
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Various

That was it. I deleted PC Recipe Box and now I can do backups again.

My Device: Playbook

brian4591 wrote:

FOUND A FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found on another site the issue with backup not working was.....

PC Recipe Box

Delete app and backup will work.  Hopefully that works for everyone else.

Cheers,

Brian

Worked for me too! Silly PC Recipe Box app... serves me right for DLing an app I didn't even need.