Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Playbook, BB8350
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Playbook will not connect to PC

I agree to all of the above!!  The Customer Service stinks!  Against the advise of my "Techie" friends, I bought the Playbook.  Now, it seems that I just have a larger screen for my email!  Can't text, can't connect to my PC and certainly can't get anyone who I can understand when I call support.

I have TRIED to be loyal to BB and have even held out to upgrade my phone to wait for the BB10.  This is the thanks I get for loyalty?????

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: MTS

I'm having the same problem. The error message I get is "an error occured mounting blackberry playbook volumes. please reconnect our device (ESmiley Surprisedx4B3). Can you walk me through the process you took to fix the problem. I'm not too bright on these things so a dummies version would be great Smiley Happy

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

bbigrigger wrote:

I'm having the same problem. The error message I get is "an error occured mounting blackberry playbook volumes. please reconnect our device (ESmiley Surprisedx4B3). Can you walk me through the process you took to fix the problem. I'm not too bright on these things so a dummies version would be great Smiley Happy

Never seen that message, on what was it displayed?

gil69 gave a pretty good step by step on the previous page on opening up the Windows networking and there's a kb article telling you to ensure the USB power saving is off.

But remember these are all WINDOWS settings, it's Windows that is at fault and you just don't get those problems on other operating systems. We should not really be turning this into a Windows networking workshop. 

My Device: Z10 / Playbook

Hi,

In my humble opinion, jarviser, Forums Advisor 111 is definitely correct to say that the Playbook is ok and all the connection problems (if your Playbook is correctly set up) are problems caused by Windows.

Having said that, I looked on the Blackberry forum for help and not a Windows forum, it's the most logical thing to do so far as I can see.  Not my decision; pleased I'm not an administrator needing to make such decisions.

I just wanted to assure everyone that if you set up your Playbook and you Windows as per my previous comments, everything can (should!) work.

I've actually come on to say that the problem doesnt seem to exist with Windows XP: it starts with Windows 7 and gets more difficult with Windows 8.  In my opinion, if all else is set up correctly, then it is the Windows Administrator Privileges, or User Account Control that causes the problems.

Not everyone has said what Windows version they are using, so it's impossible to guess at their problems.

I have completely turned off User Account Control in my Win8, so no 'Administrator Priviledges' are reqired.  That suits me.  The 'store' is not accessible if you do that though, (that suits me too) - I run a pc NOT a tablet!

To connect wirelessly and transfer files in Win8; if you bring up the 'charms' (lol) click on search, then on apps, & in the search box type run; the RUN box will apear on the left of the screen. If you right-click the RUN box, a row of options appear at the bottom of the screen; one of them is run as administrator (or similar - I don't get it now and can't remember). Left-click on that option to make RUN work with Administrator priviledges (possibly you have to type in your Playbook IP address (see previous post) first).  I can't remember.

In Windows 7 try to do everything as an Administrator or disable UAC for a while and then try typing the Playbook IP into the RUN box.

2 other things, setup Win and Playbook as advised in my previous post. (Try variations that others offer too if it still doesn't work of course but give this a whirl first). The Playbook IP should have a dot (full stop, period), whatever, between numbers exactly as it appears in the Playbok IP.   Use the IPv4 address.  But only enter the numbers shown in bold type -  (do not enter the space, forward slash or last two numbers).

Blimey, I hope this gets some playbook wireless connections working.  Good luck everyone.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

gil69 wrote:

Hi,

In my humble opinion, jarviser, Forums Advisor 111 is definitely correct to say that the Playbook is ok and all the connection problems (if your Playbook is correctly set up) are problems caused by Windows.

Having said that, I looked on the Blackberry forum for help and not a Windows forum, it's the most logical thing to do so far as I can see.  Not my decision; pleased I'm not an administrator needing to make such decisions.

I was praising your post, not criticising.  I was criticising the request for step by step when you had already provided it.

I am not an admin, just a user like you. 

Hi jarviser,

Thank you; I realised that and I appreciate it very much.  It was good of you to praise my post I am most grateful to have earned it from you:- a Forums Advisor 111, -  respect!

I in turn was agreeing with your comment that the problem is with Windows, not Blackberry.  I wasn't intending to apear critical of your comments in any way.  Very sorry if that's how it came across.

I only wanted to point out the 'Administrator Priviledges' -UAC thingy to see if it helped anyone at all and It was your positive comments that encouraged me me post it.  Thank you.

Thank you for the praise and encouragement:  please forgive my 'newbieness' and obviously clumsy wording.

My apologies for the misunderstanding.  Thanks again for praising my post.

Kind regards,

New Contributor

Thanks for all the advice so far. I too feel that because Blackberry Desktop runs on window's, you'd think that the blackberry advisers would know how to fix a problem that their softwear runs on. Anyway, I still cannot connect to windows XP even after trying all the things advised so far. Maybe if someone can start me from square 1 with the setup process, I can delete the BB desktop, re-install it & start from scratch. It's just plain weird that it worked fine for 3 months & then just stopped working. The message I get on the BB is that it is connected. The message on the PC is that "a problem occured while attempting to connect to your blackberry device" There is no Z drive showing on "My Computer" on the PC. The BB desktop is saying that it is sync everytime I plug the BB into the PC but as soon as I go to music, pictures or videos thats when I get the message it cannot connect. Have I confused everyone help? Help

Contributor

Hi,

No, that happened to me too and Blackberry were unable to assist - although they tried really hard so to do.

I do admit that I didn't have that problem with XP though, only 7 & 8.

The things that I've posted came from trolling the internet.  Using an actual error code for one of the problems.

From what you say, you're connecting via a usb cable; and indeed,you should be able to do so.

However, make certain that you have the latest Bb Desktop Software installed. 

Setup the playbook and Windows as per my first post and all things being equal, it will work wirelessly (seems easier than by usb cable and is instantaneous when it works, - the playbook folder simply appears on your desktop)!  N.B. to connect wirelessly you DO NOT even need to have the Blackberry Desktop Software running,) in fact, I would NOT have it running!  Follow the post to the letter, dont forget the two backslashes when entering your playbook IP address into the 'run' box.

Also of course, make sure that your Playbook is fired up long enough to obtain a wireless connection.

Can't help any more than that I think, sorry.  Good luck.

My Device: Z10 and PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

I know this post was from ages ago, but it is so helpful! Thank you so much!! I really needed to put some files into my PlayBook and I've been trying to get my stupid computer to detect my PlayBook for an hour and a half without any luck. Your tips totally worked! I used run and the IPv4 one. Thanks again!!!!

New Contributor

I had this happen after doing an upgrade to my virus protection program. The cure was to close the firewall part. The firewall was recognizing my BB playbook as a threat & would not allow it to connect. After I upgraded to windows 7 & installed Microsoft Security Essentials, all was fine. Hope this helps