05-17-2013 01:02 AM
Ok before anyone blasts me for posting before researching I would like to say that I have done my research and this post is my last hope.
I recently bought a second hand Playbook that was advertised as not working for $20. Me being a BB freak and my Wife and I just having a new baby (so no ex tra $) I said to myself "oh they just don't know what they are doing" well apparently neither do I.
This PB was won at a Christmas party this past December and the woman who won it, was never able to get it to turn on.
Now here's the weird part, this PB does not do what 99% of the other either bricked or drained PB's do. This one shows no signs of life at all if it is not plugged in, I will say here that I am only using the charger that came with the PB and no third party or uniusb's. Once I plug the PB in the red led comes on after about 5 seconds and stays on for exactly 10 minutes. From the hundreds of articles I could find I could not find one that showed the same symptoms.
Here is what I have tried so far.
#1. Just letting it charge for 24 hours
#2. Several different Stack methods (as a matter of fact, every single method that I came across)
#3. Trying to get the computer to recognize the PB by hooking up the USB cable, and trying several different ways to get the DM to recognize the PB. No luck, not even for that glimmer of a second like others have reported.
#4. Removing the back casing, after going online and making sure that there was no longer a warranty, and disconnecting the battery from the mother board for about an hour and then plugging the battery back in and hooking up the charger to see if there were any signs of life. NOTHING
#5. Disconnecting all of the pin connections from the mother board, then once again after an hour replacing the connections and trying to charge. Nada
#6. Removing the connections again and placing insulators between the mother board connections and the ribbon connections then placing the display with the batteries in a freezer bag, removing all of the air to stop condensation, then placing it in the freezer for about an hour and a half. Then letting it warm up to room temp and plugging in the charger. Nope
#7. I saw a post about "jumping" the battery by Knotty Rope. Turns out he has a different version PB than this one because the battery connector is completely different than the one he had. Could not trace the circuit enough to find a valid place to apply a 5V source to trick the PB into thinking it has the proper voltage.
Now after all of that I finally (don't ask me why I didn't start with this) tested the battery with my VOM and found that the battery only seems to have 0.91Vdc.....
I know that 0.91V means that the batteries are stone dead and probably have to be replaced and I'm ready to give up.
Update 1: After charging the battery again for about 12 hours I found that the battery has gone up to 0.98V. I just realized though that with the battery being this low the LED is probably using about 80% of the power being put into the unit, so I have disconnected the ribbon going to the LED indicator and I am going to try and charge it for the rest of the day and see if the battery can get a little more power.
Update 2: Ok I finally gave up on trying to charge the battery using the USB port and I carefully exposed the main battery connections and found that the batteries actually had 1.7V. After watching a YouTube vid I then cut the end off of an only USB cord, found the + and - power leads and attached an aligator clip to each. I then hooked up the leads after making sure what the polarity was and began to manually charge the battery. I charged the battery up to 3V and then checked it 2 hours later. The battery was still at 3V so I took it up to 3.5V. I thought this was going to be the answer but apparently not. Still has the same symptoms described below and shows no signs of life. I think I'm going to have to call this unit FUBAR and wait until I can afford a new one
Update 3: I have tried a few more things to no avail but I figured I'd list them here. Since I charged the battery manually the battery has not discharged by more than .3V. So my problem doesn't seem to be a power issue. I have now tried to use a rapid charger and plugging in the USB cable to see if I could make the computer recognize the PB. That didn't work so I removed the mother board and carefully cleaned and dried it using alcohol and a blow drier. That also didn't work. Apparently I'm the only person to ever have this problem happen and even Blackberry themselves are at a loss as to what could be wrong. So I guess I have a shiny paper weight with a good charger for my 9810 and a new BB USB cable. I can't complain after spending $20 on it but I am really disappointed as I was really hopeful that I would finally be the proud owner of a Playbook.
Update 4: As a complete "why not" effort I bought a dock charger for $15 and am trying to stack charge with it but after a few days it still hasn't done anything.
05-17-2013 08:56 PM
05-17-2013 09:00 PM
05-17-2013 09:06 PM
05-17-2013 09:08 PM