Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

Playbook won't charge

I bought two 16gb Playbooks in December 2011, PB#1 has gotten heavy use, PB#2 has been used very little (total of two hours maybe).  I attempted to charge PB#2 after it sat idle for several months and it won't charge at all.  No LED light to be seen.  And of course it won't power up.  I've tried both the PB USB charger and the PB Rapid Charger.  Nothing, nada.  Any ideas?  Again, PB#2 has just a couple of hours of total use since it was purchased last December.  THANKS for anyone's help.

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook won't charge

Do you recall if #2, the 'dead' Playbook was upgraded to OSv2.01 yet? Or still on OSv1.08?

I ask because it makes a difference in how they keys are pressed to restart it.

On an old v1.0 OS:  The only advice is to keep charging. Leave it on the rapid charger and every 4-5 hours press and hold the POWER button and the UP and DOWN volume keys, all three, for about 20 seconds.

On OS 2.0, Leave it on the rapid charger and every 4-5 hours press and hold the POWER button alone  for about 20 seconds.

Be patient, keep charging and keep trying the power up sequence.

If after a couple of days, this still fails, post back for the next steps.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I'm making the assumption it is still OSv1.08 only because it has gotten such limited use since it was purchased.  I'll try both options regardless to see if it will eventually accept a charge.  THANKS for the support and I'll keep you updated on progress or lack thereof.  GJ in SC.

Please do. Be patient.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Leap & Q10

We just fixed a Playbook with the following. Since the Playbook will not charge unless it is "ON", and a dead playbook cannot be "ON", the charger that is supplied with the Playbook will not work. This fix requires two connections in this order. (1) Using a Rapid Charger (two-piece 24V w/magnetic port), connect the rapid charger to the special Playbook port and you will feel the magnet grab the connector. In some instances, connecting this charger alone gets the charging ICON on the screen to appear and the charging light at the top of the screen starts to pulse. But this will only happen if there is a trickle charge left on the battery. (2) A second connection is made using the micro USB cable that connects the Playbook to your computer. If you have installed the Desktop Manager, depending on your configuration, making this connection may automatically start the Desktop Manager in which case you know the Playbook has been set to power ON which will allow it to accept the power supply of the Rapid Charger. The USB connection does not charge the Playbook so you should not have to be concerned about frying a capacitor. However, when you plug the Playbook into your PC, it forces the Playbook on for about ten seconds. Since you have already provided a new source of power with the Rapid Charger, the charging icon should appear on screen and the recharging light starts out red then changes to pulsing yellow. If after ten seconds or so nothing happens, press the power button for one second on the top of the Playbook and that should start the charging process. Then just leave it alone overnight or for several hours. It is best to let the Playbook fully charge to 100% before disconnecting the Rapid charger. This entire setup should take less than five minutes to get going. Stacking and all of the other charging ideas do not work for totally depleted batteries. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience and what worked for you, sbdeutsch

sbdeutsch wrote:

Stacking and all of the other charging ideas do not work for totally depleted batteries.

Unfortunately, you're wrong there. It has worked for some users, they in this forum and can testify to the fact that it has worked. So, it is 'factually' wrong for you to say otherwise.

Your experience might be different, and that is really all the authority from you can speak.

I look forward to recommending your fix to the next poor soul with a totally depleted battery. Hope it works for them.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Just got back to where I could check messages.  Thanks for the replies.  I left the Rapid charger on all night, still nothing (no led light, no charging symbol).  Tried the button sequence(s), nothing there either.  I will attempt the 'stacking' option this evening in hopes that will work.  General battery question - This Playbook has less than 2-3 hours total use since purchase last December.  Is it possible the battery is totally depleted given such little usage?  Thanks for everyone's help here.

Yes, it's very possible.

Keep trying... and read that post just a couple up from sbdeutsch

Sounds like something you should attempt.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Was afraid of that.  Will keep trying.  Thanks.

New Contributor

OK, tried all options, including stacking and using BB Desktop along with the Rapid Charger and USB/micro connection.  Nothing.  The desktop cannot even find the PB.  Part of the troubleshooting says to be sure the PB is charged.  ergo, the problem.  Apparently the battery is totally depleted.  What are my options for a practically brand new PB with a depleted battery?  Any advice would be appreciated.  THANKS.