Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: AT&T

Playbook won't log in to hotel wifi hotspot?

So I'm out of town on work and I'm trying to get my playbook logged onto the hotel wifi with no luck. I am able to log onto the hotspot via my blackberry though. The playbook only shows an error page and never tries to go to the hotspot login url.

In an attempt to work around the issue, I copied the address from my BB and emailed myself so that I could copy and paste it on my Playbook. Too bad I can't paste from my email into the Playbook browser.

Anyone having any luck with doing something similar?
My Device: Torch 9800 & Playbook

Re: Playbook won't log in to hotel wifi hotspot?

Hmm.. I've connected to quit a few various hotspots, some that required browser page sign ins and such, and haven't had any issues.. Have you tried just connecting to the hotspot and then trying to browse to any old website.. You should get redirected to the hotspot login page at that point..

Good Luck!
Developer

Good to know it is just the hotspot I am trying to get to and not an overall problem.

I have tried to navigate to past pages, but no luck.

Thanks for the reply.
My Device: 9650, Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Public routers with web authentication can be a real PITA.   After geting a connection, you should immediately open a web browser to see if you get a redirect to the authentication page.  If this does not happen, sometimes you can trick Cisco routers (very popular) into giving you the authentication page by putting http://1.1.1.1 in the address bar or look up the gateway address and try that.  Unfortunately, I think most of the older routers were desiged to work with Internet Exploer and are not friendly toward many of the new internet devices.

Developer

Thanks for the ideas celler. I tried the 1.1.1.1 trick too with no luck.

At this point I'm just going to blame it on the log in page for this particular hotel. I've even looked at the wireless logs, but there isn't much to draw from there.
My Device: 9650, Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

It sounds like the redirect is not working.   In addition to the http://1.1.1.1, also look up the gateway address and try puting that into an address bar.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 & Playbook

[ Edited ]

Just saw this suggestion in the Crackberry forums and thought you might want to try it, if you're still at the hotel of course..

"Hit the setup icon on the home screen and set your wifi again from there. Connect to the wifi then click on the hotspot button that appears."

Developer

Good suggestion. It says it connects using that method, but I still get "Error: couldn't resolve host name" when trying to navigate to any page.

Well, I resolved my issue by parking at the hotel across the street and borrowing their bandwidth.

Thanks for all of the ideas.
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: NA

I had found documentation out on the web that this issue would be resolved in the latest OS release for the Playbook.  However after getting the update this problem still exists.  Has anyone else on this thread had any success in talking to RIM about this problem?