Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry playbook
My Carrier: virgin

Playbook won't tether to 9810 Torch

Hi, Have just got a Playbook and have been trying to set-up tethring, I have got to the point where I choose my

isp but Virgin UK doesn't seem to be on the list, just 2 for Virgin Canada!!  Any suggestions would be welcome

Charlie

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10 + Torch + Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone Uk

Re: Playbook won't tether to 9810 Torch

Out of quriosity is there a reason why you want to tether it when you can bridge it ?

New Contributor

Only when I can't wifi or bridge, scottish coverage can be patchy!!
Regular Contributor

"Only when I can't wifi or bridge, scottish coverage can be patchy!!"

Patchy! bit of an understatement there!

Both tethering and bridging do the same thing so if you ain't getting coverage from a bridged phone it wont get better tethered. I was lead to believe that the bridge was for BB phones and tethering was for all others with Bluetooth.

New Contributor

Cheers! This is all new to me, thought I could just use my phone as a modem when I wasn't in a wifi area?
Regular Contributor

You do! that's the bridge does, the other advantage is that as the phones doing the work and the Pb is working as a dumb terminal your phone company won't sting you for an extra tethering package on top.

I have the same problem in rural North Yorkshire and only get occasional GPRS so i keep its use to a minimum as i soon get bored!

If you ever want to use the tethering part like you would with a laptop i would ask Virgin for the setting they will give you both for payg or contract and tell you the cost options.

New Contributor

I'm sure when I was using bridge, there was no internet, that's why I was trying to tether, it was late when I gave up!!
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500

Obviously, the OP was a while ago, but I would still like to ask out of curiousity whether anyone has found from experience that tethering creates better Internet performance on PB vs Bridge? I have a feeling it wouldn't be any better; hence rendering tethering pointless if one can use Bridge.