Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Playbook wont connect to WPA2

At home I use a Netgear WPN824 RangeMax router using WPA2 and cannot acquire IP address.  SSID is found and Playbook settings are appropriate (acquire IP, dual mode).  Sits displaying Attempt 1 of 3 Acquiring IP Address for about 30 seconds and then responds Unable to Acquire an IP Address.  Playbook works seemlessly at work on DSL Wireless using WPA as well as via tether (Verizon).

Unable to ping or traceroute under Advanced Wireless help as IP is never given.

I've restarted the Playbook, tried with bridge to Curve and without, rebooted the netgear and reset the DSL routers.  No luck.  Have Dell computer that can access, Sony laptop that accesses the wifi, an iPod touch and a Toshiba laptop.  iPad has not issues either.  Only Playbook.  Anyone have a clue? 

New Contributor

Re: Playbook wont connect to WPA2

I had a similar experience this past weekend. At a friends and neither my Curve 8350i or my PlayBook would connect to their wireless but my sons ipod touch and their mac laptops hooked up fine. I look forward to a response and fix. Cheers

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 / Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

connect to WPA@ - have you tried to manually add the network?   The playbook would not automatically detect my network either, but manually adding it did the trick.   I had to enter the SSID network name and the WPA2 Key.   Good Luck.

New Contributor

manual doesnt matter. The WPA2 issues appears to be a growing concern and a definite issue with this tablet.
Developer

I just received my Playbook from Blackberry and am having the same problem. It detects my network correctly, I enter the wpa2 password, it tries to connect, says Acquiring IP address and then a few seconds later: Unable to Acquire Address.

As an experiment, I tried an incorrect password and it immediately said "wrong Password".

Manual does not do anything as it does not offer any additional options.

My router is a an Apple Time Capsule.

Any ideas or fixes?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

i had issue with QOS being enabled on a netgear wireless router. disable it and it worked after

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

i had the same problem try setting to Wpa2 with aes tkip encryption
Developer

I was able to connect when I set up my Android phone as a hot spot. The playbook gets confused with the SSID of the networks. Hopefully the software download will fix some of these network issues.
Contributor
My Device: storm2
My Carrier: telus

Try this.
log in as you normally would to your network. do not select browser. select Yahoo or any other web site. when you get there tap the address bar and select Google. you are on the web.
i had a similar problem and discovered this work around.
worked for me.
New Contributor

No dice...There is no connection anyways to get to those destinations.