Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Torch 9800 & PlayBook 32g
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Playbook wont connect to WPA2

[ Edited ]

Mine connected up just fine using WPA2. I had already connected my Torch in the past and the profile transfered over via Bridge. The only thing I have found was the first time I had to add the Password (they are not transferred via bridge it seems) and add the MAC to my filter list, and I have to open the WiFi selector to connect due to not having my SSID broadcasted (being a network engineer I am rather fanatic about security). Other WPA2 with broadcasted SSID connect just fine. Make sure your profile is enabled, seems there is a limit to the number of active profiles a PB will allow, and if your SSID is not broadcast make sure the Hidden SSID is checked.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks.  i will try that.  Just an FYI, a someone fanatic about security...the broadcast of an SSID is irrelevant and provides no additional security.  Its merely a feel good control...kinda like locking a door when you can throw a brick through the window anyways.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Not helpful bit: WPA2 is working perfectly fine for me. Very quick to initially connect and reconnection to an established network is even faster.

Possibly helpful bit: the playbook seems to be copying down wifi network connection data from my phone. Maybe try deleting all networks on the phone and playbook, reboot and then try connecting fresh from the playbook.
My Device: Torch 9800 & PlayBook 32g
My Carrier: AT&T

Not completely true. Obfuscation is a first line of defense. You are correct that it does not provide real security, but in a neighborhood full of broadcasted SSIDs, having one that is not broadcasted makes the others much easier, and visible, targets Smiley Wink

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I was finally able to connect my Playbook to my home network over a Time Capsule using WPA2 Personal.

The playbook was detecting the wifi network and could not acquire an address.

I connected to the Time Capsule setup with a laptop, and going through menus, I saw that the Time Capsule was set up for a WEP Transitional Security Network which was detected by the Playbook as WPA2 Personal. I changed it on the Time Capsule to WPA2 Personal and the Playbook connected correctly.

So for all who are having this problem, make sure that the router is really running WPA2 and not something else.

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Iusacell

I was having the same issue until yesterday.

After spending a couple of nights dealing with BB Support techs, I came up with these steps and worked for me, even though that Playbook should connect automatically as other devices do. Moreover, of course I am not going to ask everyday the IT guys for a router reset.

Here it goes :

1- If you own a lap top/pc connected to your work Wifi network, open the network adapter window on the PC. Go to wifi adapter and left-click on properties in order to display detailed connection status.

2- From there you may obtain a valid subnet mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS.

3- Since the IP Address was already obtained by your Playbook while trying to connect, it will be asking for the same IP each time, so write down the Playbook IP too. You can access it from the wifi? Icon on the wifi configuration script on the playbook.

(The issue here was that for some reason, my Playbook on "auto IP mode" was choosing a different default gateway number than the correct one. I still can't figure why, but I'm not going to invest more time on it, until a new software update becomes available and go from there.)

4- In your playbook tap the wifi icon and go to saved networks, tap on edit (pencil) and delete your office previous connection.

5- Create manually a new wifi connection and unselect "auto IP mode". You will have the opportunity to copy all the information mentioned above. IP, Subnet Mask, Primary DNS. Secondary DNS and Default Gateway.

6- Tap save and connect.

Hopefully you Playbook will be online and ready to navigate.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16G
My Carrier: Bell

I'm a newbie as far as the Playbook. There things I have to learn / discover, but I need to sort out some serious stuff as I am going backpacking for 2 months and I need to know if  the PB will perform the functions I need.

I need to transfer docs between my wifi enabled computer and vice versa. Also need to print from the playbook things like bookings for hotels and flights.

(1) When on Vista Desktop PC (WIFI) I cannot see the PB 

(2) On my Thinkpad laptop (wifi) I can see the PB, but I cannot access it from my Thinkpad

(3) I am not getting it, but how do I locate the files  I have detached from emails?

(4) Is there something that needs to be installed from the PB on each computer so that they can talk to each other?

(5) While we are away for the winter we weusally used our netbook to Skype. It seems that PB does not have a Sype App. Is there some way to get around this. Our grand daughter would be lost if she just heard our voices (1 yr old)

Thanks

Dennis

Contributor
My Device: PB 64 and BB9810
My Carrier: Virgin

Printing is a problem now, l've seen a posting that said google has a cloud printing ap. When I looked it up you needed a gmail account, search the posts for google printing.

Transfering files is best done using the usb cable (faster), make sure you have the BB desktop app installed, drive "z" should show up in the filing system. Email downloads can be in different directories.

For wifi, go to the windows start menu, run, enter the playbook ip address. Worked for me, full solution has been posted search for it if I havent helped.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16G
My Carrier: Bell

Thank you

I will look into your advice. 

(1) I have  a Google email address. I will check out how their cloud printing works

(2) As for the IP address of the PB, is this an each time I need to connect to my wifi  or is it just the one time. I am not sure if this is a static address or is it dynamically allocated each when I power it on.

(3) I will check out the BB desktop for ti's features. I really could use folders for airline etickets, hotel reservations, a list of various URLS passwords etc and travel plans for 2 months.

(4) May be a senior moment or newbie syndrome, but I am having a hard time setting up my custom iGoogle home page as a bookmark. It goes there then changes to  hotmail.  This home page has several features, Hot mail, yahoo, currency exchange, language translation, News etc. Saves on too many favourites and a great Home page to get everything done..

(5) Why am I having difficulty saving any web page under "FAVOTIES" but not underBookmarks?

Thank you so much. I know someday I will realize these were silly questions

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: N/A

Drop router down to wireless protocol b or g.

Select WPA Personal on PB if you are using WPA security.

Wait for RIM to fix what seems to be an n issue.

If this works, please like and close as solved.

Thanks!