Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: non-blackberry user
My Carrier: non-blackberry user

Playbook

I live in India and want to get a playbook 4g model from USA. What are WiMax, LTE and HSPA++. Are these just carrier names or will there be a change in playbook's build. Will the USA one work with Indian 3g carriers. Is the playbook 4g factory unlocked?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Playbook

The Playbook 4G hasn't been released yet.  It will most likely be locked when it is, since that is the norm for North American carriers.  North American carriers often try keep their customers by locking them into long term contracts instead of just trying to provide the best service.  To be able to do that, the devices they support have to be locked to their network.

WiMax, LTE and HSPA+ are all different cell networks.  If you want to make sure the Playbook 4G will work with your carrier, you need to find out which radio is in the Playbook 4G when it is released (in other words, which cell network it was designed to work on) and which cell network your carrier uses.  If the Playbook 4G uses WiMax and your carrier uses LTE, then you would have to change carriers or wait for an LTE version of the Playbook 4G.  I don't know which cell network is planned for the Playbook 4G or if they have different versions for different networks.

The security on the Playbook is apparently pretty tight, so you'll also need to make sure you can actually unlock it before you buy it.

Of course, before you do anything, you'll need to wait for the Playbook 4G to actually be released.

My Device: non-blackberry user
My Carrier: non-blackberry user

Re: Playbook

Are WiMax, LTE and HSPA+  4g networks. Can atleast all 3g networks work on any of them