Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Orange

Pop email account - no option to leave mail on server - no option to select all messages

I have recently obtained a Playbook and I use the latest OS version 2.1.0.1314 So, unlike other users, I did not experience the lack of an email application. I think the email application is excellent but it does have a couple of shortcomings. I would expect an option to leave email on the server when deleting emails on the Playbook. I have checked all the types in setup, not just Pop, and none offer this feature. I am a bit puzzled by another post on this site that refers to such an option. Was it a feature previously? I would also expect a bulk selection option so that all emails could be tagged for deletion without having to tag each one separately. These 2 features may well have been requested from Blackberry already and hopefully they will be included in a future release. Do Blackberry have a Suggestion Box?
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Pop email account - no option to leave mail on server - no option to select all messages

[ Edited ]

Let me try and explain why that option is not required or even relevant to Playbook.

An email Client like Outlook or Thunderbird goes and gets a copy of your email from the webmail and stores it on your computer permanently. That "pop" action very often deletes the webmail version so you have an option to leave it there or not.

Playbook messages app is not an email client. Think of it as a remote control for your webmail. It takes a temporary copy of any webmail less than 7 days old (you can vary it between 1 day and 30 days) and whatever you do with it in Playbook happens to webmail. It uses your webmail's own rules for things like storing copies of sent mail.

If you delete a mail, it deletes it from webmail. If you don't, it doesn't. When it gets to 7 days old it just does not sync with Playbook and you can't see it any more. But it will still be there in Webmail unless you purposefully delete it with Playbook. 

If you want to delete a whole page, tap the top one and the bottom one at the same time to select all mails between. It is most effective when in Portrail mode. Remember though this will delete them from your webmail.

Re: Pop email account - no option to leave mail on server - no option to select all messages

Thanks for your reply jarviser.

I do use Outlook Express to download POP emails to my PC for archiving and do allow it to delete emails on the server.  However, Outlook Express also allows leaving the mail on the server by setting a flag. A good option to have for POP.

The Playbook should not be the "master" as it has limited archiving capability. At the moment, I have to leave all the emails I want to archive on the tablet until I download to the PC. I would like to clear them away after I read them. Ideally I want just a copy of the emails on the tablet with the ability to delete as I please but without deleting from the server as I still need to achive on my PC later. This feature would be very useful to me and would probably be easy to implement ie just an optional flag telling the server not to delete.

Thanks too for pointing out there is a technique for deleting emails a page at a time. However, a button to tag all emails (with the option to then untag some) would surely be a more elegant solution for bulk deletion of many pages. It should be easy to implement too.

I would regard these features to be enhancements not fixes.

Forums Veteran I

Why do you want to clear them off playbook when they drop off after the seven days anyway (or whatever you set for it) ?

Your full list of wants is not available on Playbook in its current design. It doesnt work like Outlook. 

This is how I use Playbook and MacMail email client.

Playbook set at default  seven days Sync Timeframe. Never delete a mail with playbook. 

Mac mail set to leave mails on server but delete from server seven days after popping.

Always use MacMail once a day or so to keep the mails on the Mac.

The only problem I have is any mail I send from Playbook doesnt get picked up by the Macmail but using an imap mail like Gmail would fix that. 

For work mail or enterprise servers other solutions may be better for you.

I am surprised that the design is so inflexible that a tag all function could not be added. Many email clients do have this feature anyway.

With regard to the option to NOT delete from the server, many clients already have this too.  Recently, I have noticed that the latest version of Outlook web mail (not the PC client) has a complementary feature to the Blackberry client's shortcoming. It states in the documentation that some clients do not provide an option to NOT delete, so the default is now to put "deleted" emails into a special "save" folder in order to retain them. This default behaviour can be switched off, if not required. But it shows that these designer's have listened to user complaints and have overcome problems caused by the limited "design" of other products.

Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

I would re-read the above posts. Playbook messages app is not an email client.

Thanks for your reply.

I have re-read the previous replies but remain unconvinced about the reasoning. According to Wikipedia the term email client "can refer to any system capable of accessing the user's email mailbox" not just a POP or IMAP application. The Blackberry app copies the emails from the email server but does not delete them, just like a POP app can. This must have been a design decision. Physically, the email is then stored in two locations. When an email is deleted in the Blackberry app, it is also deleted on the email server. This too must have been a design decision. I do not think there would be an issue with re-sending deleted emails to the Blackberry app, as it appears to receive only new emails as they arrive on the server.

With regard to a tag-all option to facilitate bulk deletes, again I think it is a design decision. The page at a time technique works well but when there are many pages it is not ideal.

My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Kudo

Yes it did used to allow you to leave messages on the server, and then the Knobs changed it.  See the screen shot > https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1441 

Mine worked up unitl today and I'm using Exchange not POP, just luck I guess.

Put it back BB!

Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

The option was never there on POP. Tbe article was wrong (see comments) Messages app for POP  is a sync, not an email client.