Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Developer
My Device: Z30

Positioning cursor in editable text-field

It is almost impossible to position the cursor in a text-field. Even though I have very thin finger it takes me more than two tries to position the cursor. Would be nice if on a future PlayBook-update the behaviour of text-selection and cursor-positioning would be improved. Works much better on Android-devices (okey, they often have a scrollball) and iPhone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blog alopix.net
BBM Channel: C0047B612
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Positioning cursor in editable text-field

i dont have that issue with my fat fingers anymore with some practice. are you lightly touching or mashing while you select? i found mashing to make it less accurate. remember it is the first part that touches that makes the selection and not the top of your finger or thumb.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Z10 and Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Are you kidding me?
This is one of the biggest laments I keep seeing!

Cursor position is garbage on the Playbook!

I'm thinking the name should be PlayBrick!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

are you mashing the area you are selecting?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Stop- you are a fool if you don't think it is a problem. you have to type at least three to four times to position the cursor properly. Typing is complete and utter garbage on the playbrick. I have stopped using my playbrick - I no longer have the patience.
I bought it to see about investing in RIM. I haven't as of yet - and the stock price is just reflecting the reality of this useless piece of garbage.

So to answer your inane question - no, I am not mashing the area. The playbrick sucks.

Guru III
My Device:

Have you tried Rocket Storm? I have and the game trains you with better accuracy. But if you cant handle the challenge good luck with your future purchase on a tablet as you seem to like the concept enough to buy one in the first place.

Contributor

The purchase has saved me me -literally- millions of dollars. I bought it as research into RIM. My conclusion RIM's in big trouble. I can't find a use for the Playbrick at this point. I've made a lot more money shorting this pig than buying it.

I have a soft spot for RIM - but call it like you see it. The PlayBrick is garbage at this point.

Developer

I do have Rocket Storm and love playing it - but it has nothing to do with training your accuracy ^^

Positioning a cursor has to be easy - and not something you have to practice because as ctfish mentions (even though (s)he's a little bit over-reacting and going off-topic) you need at least 4 to 5 tries to get the right position. That's not necessary for other products out there (especially the loupe on the iPhone is a hit)...

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK
My Carrier: ICE

Hi guys!!  Don't have my PB right now so go easy on me if I'm wrong...

But can't you just zoom in the text so you can edit it with more accurancy?

Developer

Zoom in how? You maybe can zoom in on webpages but not in simple PlayBook apps.