Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Print to Go

Have been doing a little more research and found this on the knowledge base  KB31446 at the following link

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB31446&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

Main text of article is given below and it is obvious this is a known error. Unfortunately  the resolution quoted is less than helpful given as I am not a VPN expert. We definitely need some guidance on what the resolution is from Blackberry themselves  or someone in the Support Forum who has the knowledge

Environment

• Print to Go® for BlackBerry® PlayBook™
Overview

After attempting to successfully log into the BlackBerry ID on a desktop with Print to go.  The error This page cannot be displayed appears on the desktop

This Page Cannot Be Displayed shows on a desktop when trying to use Print to Go. This error shows up after the BlackBerry Playbook user appears to be successfuly logged into BlackBerry ID on the PC within the Print to Go process.

Cause

The network that the PlayBook is connected to does not allow a connection between the PlayBook and the PC to complete the Print to Go process

Resolution

Ensure the network supports the use of Print to Go.  VPN connections can cause this error.

Good hunting

Contributor
My Device: TORCH
My Carrier: VODAFONE

OK I have also had the problem and I have been doing some digging. ( This is a copy of a posting in Crackberry)

Strictly speaking it is not a Win 8.1 issue but an IE11 issue. PTG used to work for me in Win 8.1, but not since the BB Playbook and IE11 security upgrades in Win 8.1.

I have been reading related tech forums on the issues - and I may be talking nonsense here. It seems that the error is in handling the SSL3 and TLS1 security. It seems that the latest IE is far more robust in its behaviour and unless a properly formed header is specifically sent by an application ( and PTG is included ), then no 'header' is sent. I think IE under Win7 just sends a default header.The PTG server requires a header and rejects the 'location request' immediately if it doesnt have one. It then drops the connection.

Its difficult to point a finger of blame here: IE has tightened its security - but BB could trivially easily deal with the issue.

I have tried turning off TLS in IE but to no avail. By the way if you Logout of PTG then you may not be able to login again unless SSL2 is activated on IE.

I have no work around at the moment. BB specifically does NOT support IE11 and Win 8.1 for PTG. I have tried running the software in Win7 compatability mode and no result. I am sure the fix is trivial and will keep hunting.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for this update much appreciated. Nice to know  wheels are turning and fingers crossed for a solution in due course. I tried running in various compatability modes but without success and PTG was opearting okay with W8 and it was only after upgrade to W8.1 it stopped working. Of course the upgrade may have affected the operation of IE11.

Thanks again for the update.

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vinaphone

Hi Guys,

Any workarounds so far? PTG is very convenient to me as I don't want to email to myself the PDF file.

Thanks!

Contributor

other than the posting which indicated that it may be an IE11  issue I am afraid the trail has gone cold. It is a great disappointment the RIM or Microsoft have not picked this up and pursued the matter. The PTG facility was a great application. I keep testing the PTG on my desktop but still get the same message despite the numerous updaaates to Windows 8.1 and reecent updates to IE11. Thats it for now.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: Koodo

This is happening to me now on a new Windows 8.1 system.

Anything new on this front?

Contributor

This seems to be an issue with windows 8.1.

install PTG on another windows system and got the same results as before.

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi Everyone,

I had the same issue after installing Windows 8.1 with IE11. I got a little farther but still unable to print, the thing crashes... anyway, this may halp someone else get farther... The problem with the page loading with you try to print is that the ptg.blackberry.com page accessed tries to use TLS 2.0 but this is by default disabled in IE11, to enable it go to Internet Options / Advanced  and check "Use TLS 2.0" in the Security Secction.

Maybe the app crashing on me is particular to my environment so this could help other people, hopefully we get this working, PrintToGo is a feature I consider extremely usefull and use it quite a lot, miss is dearly since upgrading my PC to 8.1... :-(

Contributor

After selecting SSL 2.0 [there was no TLS 2.0 option] I was able to get all the way to the point where the document is sent to the Playbook.

At that point I get an error right under the Printing complete message. Clicking on the error link it reads "Make sure my computer is connected to the Internet"

Contributor

Can I endorse jdmcdowall comments. Progress has been made however but it looks like one final step is required. Thanks to those who have continued to  look for a solution.