Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: VDF

Problem with 64 GB version of playbook

Hi, i´m new in this forum and hope that somebody could help me regarding my issue with the 64GB version of the playbook.

First of all, i try to give the information what has already done on the playbook.

- System reset done

- latest updates installed

- playbook in usage since approx one year for business purposes (email/VPN/Calender)

- no additional Apps installed (just after facory reset)

- email configuration for business exchange server done

- gmail account configuration

Now i try to describe my problem.

I´m using actually the playbook as my mobile music player with A2DP Bluetooth or with the headphone jack or the integrated speakers with my different radios and stereo equipment in my house. so far eveything works great, but after max one day, the playbook slows down extremly, which means searching in stock music app isn´t possible, scrolling neither. stock eMail app opening takes 10-20 minutes or it hangs up.

After rebooting the PB it is a bit faster but not as i experienced it from the usage the last year. Even standard apps, like calender/eMail/browser or system settings open very slow.

By the way- If music will be played it hangs up from time to time.

The difference, or what i have done:

I copied approx 17000 m4a songs 96kBit/s to the PB storage. know i have approx 700-800 MB free storage memory on the playbook.

So for me it looks like the playbook can´t handle 64GB of nearly full internal storage, which is in my opinion a "no go". 

Of course i know- thats not the best way to have my music everywhere, but have you checked what Twonky in a standard NAS does with 17000 songs :-) Yeah it slow down.

btw. I tried the same  with a Windows 8 tablet using a 64GB SDXC card and i did not see any problems, which means i copied the 17000 songs to the SDXC card put it in a Wetab (Intel Atom processor + 1GB RAM) and it works fine for weeks, without slowing down.

Now my questions:

Did anyone else experienced something like i described?

Is there any database process running in the back which slows down the playbook using very much files in the storage?

Does anybody has an idea instead of rebooting the device every 2nd day?

Actually i do this before i go to bed each night :-)

Thx&br

neo

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Problem with 64 GB version of playbook

What OS release is installed on the PlayBook?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Newest One I guess.
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

When you state in the first post, first line "- System reset done"

What do you mean by that?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

i meant factory reset of the playbook, which then comes up with an older version of the OS and ask for upgrade as well as the configuration task of everything, like time/timezone and so on...
New Contributor

Hi again. One small update. If i use only stock music player and no other program it takes 3 days until i need to reboot.Has nobody ans idea?
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook

You say less than1GB left? That's your problem!!.  you need a good 5GB free on a 64GB playbook or it runs really slowly. You may need to wipe it and start again to free the space completely.

Please try it before coming back.

Sarah.
New Contributor

THX, i'll try it, but is there any explanation possible, why 5GB of free memory is needed. What i would say- if this tip help, what would happen then to users with 16GB Playbooks...
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook

The amount needed is a matter of discussion. 5 may be too much. 1 not enough. It's needed for paging as far as I know. See how. Much you can get awsy will h and come back here with my the result.

16GB playbook uses about 3 for OS and maybe the same for pageing. Leaves 9 or 10. 

Sarah.