Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: ASDA

Problems Setting Up Contacts in Playbook

I normally use a desk top PC and Windows Mail to access my emails, but wish to also use my Playbook. My ISP is Plusnet. I do not have any other Blackberry mobile devices. I have been trying to get my contacts into my Playbook and have read many of the posts on here and other websites about this. Anyway I resorted to setting up a yahoo email account and imported my addresses into that. I then set up the yahoo account in "messages" in my Playbook. This has however not my adresses available. I have tried the same with a gmail account - this also hasn't made my adresses available. I then tried going into "Contacts" on the Playbook to set these accounts up but it just says that the accounts already exist.

I now can read emails from all the email accounts I have set up, but really do not want to have to set up all my contacts manually. I don't seem to be able to access any menu associated withese accounts which gives me the option of requesting sync of adresses.  This is very frustrating.

Any help with a step by step guide to get from where I am now to having my adresses in the Playbook would be appreciated.

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Problems Setting Up Contacts in Playbook

Have you yet imported those contacts in your Windows Mail to your Yahoo or Gmail account?

i.e., export those contacts from Windows Mail to an ASCII or CSV file and then imported that into your Yahoo or Gmail contacts?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Yes, I imported my full adress book into both the yahoo and gmail accounts before setting up the accounts on the playbook.

Regards

and in your Playbook email setup, for the gmail account, you do have the checkbox enabled for contact sync?

How long has this been since you've set it up?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

If I go into "Setup" and select "Accounts" then select the gmail account I can see all the boxes for server address,port, SMTP Encryption, sync interval etc. etc. but there is no box or option to select contact sync.   I don't know how else I can access the account setup details.

I set it up 3 days ago.

regards

[ Edited ]

Follow the exact directions here:

How to enable or disable wireless contact synchronization with BlackBerry Internet Service

or here:

How to enable or disable calendar synchronization with an integrated Gmail email account   

Also, in case you need:

Wireless Contact and Calendar synchronization between the BlackBerry smartphone and an integrated G...

What is Google Mail contact synchronization  

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

I have read all the links posted and non of them appear to apply to a Playbook. I do not have a Blackberry Smartphone of any sort.

KB30163 Options for contact and calendar sync do not appear after an email account is integrated on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

KB30163 states:-

Resolution

"Please check with your email provider whether wireless synchronization of contacts and calendar is supported for the email account.

For a list of contact and calendar synchronization features that are available for the email integration types, please reference KB30038."

When you go to KB30038 it states that Gmail does have CardDav.  So this suggests it should work. 

Has anyone any suggestions?  If I delete all my email accounts from my Playbook and start again - can anyone give me a step by step guide to establising my gmail contacts and emails on the Playbook?  Blackberry support for Playbook seems lacking.

regards 

Contributor

It apppears that google ended google sync at the end of January 2013 and it looks as though they are not supporting cardDAV for Blackberry.

Can anyone help with simply getting my contacts onto my Playbook.  Why can't Playbook Contacts just import from a CSV file?  (I'll forego the syncing of contacts!).  I'm not impressed with Blackberry Playbook. I guess it's much better if you have a smartphone to which you can link it.