Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Problems Setting Up Contacts in Playbook

Set up a free outlook.com account and import the contacts into it just as you have done with gmail.

Then, set up the outlook.com account on your PlayBook.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: ASDA

I don't have any confidence that it will work with outlook.com if it doesn't work with gmail or yahoo. A general web search reveals that people are equally having difficulties syncing outlook.com with playbook. Is there an inherent issue with Playbook?

Mine are syncing fine with Outlook.com

Where did you find those having issues with outlook.com syncing?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

On Crackberry forum.

It seems that some have managed to get sync by wiping everything on their playbooks, restoring form scratch, then setting up the email account again.

It is strange because I recall when I set up the first email account on my Playbook I was given the option to check "email sync", "contact sync", "and calander sync".  However now whether I go into the existing email accounts or try to set up a new one I never get (even in Advanced set up) the otion to select these 3 things.

Regards

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

They moved the option recently for outlook/hotmail accounts. You need yo go "back" before final save or edit options after final save. But it is there IF your chosen mail provider uses sync. Setting up a gmail acclunt the sync options are presented but email is not removeable.

Outlook.com is from Microsoft and is a hotmail variant using a much better active sync technology (on mobile devices) than gmail or yahoo.

Thanks for your help. I seem to be getting closer but not quite there! Set up an outlook.com email account. Then synced that with the gmail account that I'd previously set up. That has brought my contacts into outlook.com.

Then set up the outlook.com account on the playbook (and was given the option to sync email, calander and contacts - wow!) which it is now set up to do.

The email and calander aspects are working but so far no contacts appear in the Playbook contacts app. However previously when I entered the Contacts app it prompted me if i wanted to set up a contacts account. Now it doesn't prompt, it just has no contacts listed! Could it be that it's because these contacts have originated from a gmail account that is synced to the outlook contacts?

So gmail and yahoo have withdrawn their facilities to sync with calander and mail (as far as Playbook goes) ?

Regards

Contributor

Apols i meant with calander and contacts.

Give it a couple hours for the contacts to sync over.

If not, go into your Outlook.com server screen on the PC and add a new contact or edit one.

I had made a change yesterday to a couple of new and edited contacts in my outlook, and those changes synced pretty quickly to the outlook.com server screen, but several hours to sync to my Z10. They are there this morning.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Success at last!   Thanks to all contributors to this thread.   Answer is (certainly for people setting up for the first time) that gmail and yahoo no longer sync contacts and calander with Blackberry playbook.  Use Outlook.com instead!

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

You have to ask why do these companies invest millions into free email services when devices like Playbook shield out any adverts.  And if companies like Giggle, wish to prevent devices using other operating systems access to gmail services it's their choice.  That's what seems to have happened in January.

However they are playing big stakes because MS (and believe me I am no fan) provide activesync sevices for all mobile devices and Giggle don't,  and MS will win in the end.

. So let's hope all the others develop activesync and drop imap before we drop them.

________