Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 02

Re: Problems w/ limited internet browsing on bridge

When on bridge browser (but not when on wi-fi) I am unable to load my login details to internet sites which require passwords - ft.com, for example, plus internet banking sites. 

I get an error message - "unknown network error 3RSH-A"

Prior to needing to put in a password, these sites work perfectly well.

But I can't get past the password input pages.

I have just updated my bridge software to the latest version, and am on tablet OS 1.0.7.2942

All help gratefully received!

Thanks

Ian

Regular Contributor
My Carrier: Verizon

I find these posts confusing.  There are three different ways to web browse while bridged to your phone, and I never know what people are referring to.  

Method 1:  Launch the "bridge browser."  This will use the browser on your phone and go through your corporate firewall/BES (or BIS).  

Method 2: Activate "internet tethering" on your phone and launch the browser.  In my experience, this seems to behave he same as wifi browsing.  

Method 3: Launch "browser" (not Bridge Browser) while bridged to your phone.  This method seems to have some of its own quirks, and only became possible with the most recent OS upgrade.  For example, if I launch Google using his method, it does not seem to respond to my search queries--just sits there.

Generally I use Method 3 and avoid Method 1 like the plague -- my corporate firewall is onerous -- but when people post problems about browsing while bridged, I, for one, would find it helpful if they posted with greater clarity exactly what they mean and whether any of the other methods resolve the problem.

New Contributor
My Carrier: 02

OK, thanks.

The problem arises when I use what you describe as method 1. (With method 3, the playbook just says that "your BB smartphone is unable to establish a connection to the destination server".)

Method 2 sounds more promising, because I don't have the problem when I connect the playbook through a wi-fi network, rather than through the bridge.

But I'm afraid you'll have to explain to me the mechanics to "activate intenet tethering on your phone and launch the browser".  I have bluetooth discoverable on the phone and Blackberry bridge "on" - do you mean something over and above this?

Thanks

Ian

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Carrier: Verizon

It depends on your carrier and your data plan, but if your phone is set up to "tether" to a computer (i.e., to be used as a data modem for a computer), then you can use the bluetooth connection to your phone to "tether" it with the Playbook as well.  To activate this, you need to go into  the control panel and select "Internet Tethering" in the left-hand panel, then go through the steps you find there.

When your phone is tethered, if it is a Blackberry, it will say "Modem Mode Enabled" on the screen, and it will essentially become a dedicated modem and not perform its normal network functions.  (For example, you will not received new e-mail notifications until you disconnect the tethering).  On my network (Verizon), the phone will still ring if someone calls me while tethered, but if I answer it, the tethering disconnects.

You can tether to any Bluetooth-enabled phone that is capable of it; it does not have to be a Blackberry.