Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Programs force closing

On my BlackBerry PlayBook, programs will just shut themselves down for no reason. For instance, I have Apollo up and running and I try to use the Internet browser and they both just automatically close. Help!
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: Programs force closing

I have had some freeze-ups in the web browser lately too. One even locked the PB up solid and I had to do a hard reboot since the screen was frozen solid. It doesn't happen all the time though.

I actually think the freezing in the web browser has to do with ads and Flash ads specifically. I myself shut off Flash in the web browser settings and it definitely speeds up browsing. If I need it for a video then I turn it on and restart the browser. However, I have had a web page crash after I did this too so I am not 100% sure if it's Flash or not doing that. Adobe Flash is utter junk at the best of times. I really wouldn't be surprised if it's either Adobe Air or Flash being the culprit...

Anyhow, another thing to try is to keep your browser cache clean and I frequently purge mine. I find this helps speed up the browser.

I have no 100% fix for you on this unfortunately and I'm monitoring my own crashes as a result.

My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Hmm alright now how do you clear the cache? Does your browser shut down other programs that are up and running?
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

1) Open the web browser.

2) Swipe down once from the top bezel in the center of the PlayBook (below the camera is a good reference point)

3) Look for the GEAR icon which says SETTINGS

4) Select PRIVACY and SECURITY and swipe down to scroll to the bottom of the right interface

5) Select Clear Cache or Clear All...selecting ALL will clear your cookies and such too which may be problematic. For me, I don't keep cookies and such so I choose Clear All.

By the way, shutting off Flash is easy too. Under CONTENT, just toggle Enable Flash to off.

No, my apps don't usually kill my browser. Is this a native app you're using or is it a sideloaded Android app? It could very well be a problem with the app and the Android Player. Not all Android apps work on the PlayBook since the versions are different.