Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10

Protection plan

I just got the Playbook at a store they are trying to sell me a two year warranty plan for it that starts on day one(150:00USD). But the Playbook comes with a one year limited warranty. So all I am getting is one more year after the RIMS year. How and what will RIM cover? What do you think about this?Also can I buy another year from RIM?What I will get if I buy there's is:

• 24/7 technical support and customer service
  • 100% parts and labor coverage from date of purchase
  • Coverage against mechanical and electrical failures as a result of normal wear and tear
  • One-time replacement or cash settlement if equipment cannot be repaired*
  • Power surge coverage of up to $1,000 over the life of the plan
  • Transferable coverage
  • Tablet plans include one-screen replacement for manufacturer's defect (exlcudes accidental damage coverage)
  • Express shipping service - schedule a pickup by UPS that is convenient for you
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Please give me Kudos if you feel like I helped you

Thank you
cuse165
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Protection plan

I think most extended warranties are rip-offs.  It's almost pure profit for whoever is selling you the extended warranty.  The things that actually might go wrong are usually excluded.  Like the screen replacement you mentioned that only covers manufacturer's defects and not accidental damage.  If there's a manufacturer's defect, you'll probably know about it right away and return it to the store.  You don't need an extended warranty for that.

Consumer Reports wrote an article on extended warranties that was quite good a few years ago.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/money/news/november-2006/why-you-dont-need-an-extended-warranty-1...

Super Contributor

Dose the  Extended Protection Plan come with Accidental Damage? Or do you have to buy both of them?

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thank you
cuse165
Trusted Contributor

You'd have to ask whoever is trying to sell you an extended plan.

Super Contributor

Its from RIM

Thank you
cuse165
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Look at the details here

https://us.blackberry.extendedwarrantypurchase.com/

for 129.00 USD, it seems like a no brainer if you are clumsy or giving one to children.

I am getting it for my 6.5 year old kids PlayBook and also a Otterbox case

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9800 & Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Is this available to Canadians....I can't find it on the website.    

I would really hope so since it's a Canadian company!

Super Contributor

I think its just for US beacuse  RIM has nothing to do with the 2 year extended warranty plane its from a US based compeny called service net. This comes from service nets website Research In Motion is not affiliated with Service Net Warranty, LLC

Thank you
cuse165
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

knottyrope wrote:

Look at the details here

https://us.blackberry.extendedwarrantypurchase.com/

for 129.00 USD, it seems like a no brainer if you are clumsy or giving one to children.

I am getting it for my 6.5 year old kids PlayBook and also a Otterbox case

If you read the terms and conditions of the plan at https://us.blackberry.extendedwarrantypurchase.com/Content/BlackBerry/resources/108607.pdf, you'll see that there are a lot of exclusions listed.  Think of exclusions as loopholes the company providing the extended warranty can use to not have to pay for any repairs.

It's up to you.  Personally I think extended warranties are a waste of money.

EDIT:  The link I provided won't work from these forums.  Click on knottyrope's link and then click on Terms and Conditions on the left hand side instead.