Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860/9850
My Carrier: Telstra

RE: My home computers inability to read from the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.....

Hi all,

Can anybody please offer some advice in regards to my desktop computer not being able to read my BlackBerry PlayBook tablet? I have done the following and still my computer will not connect to the tablet:

- Done the update on the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

- Clicked the file sharing option to 'ON'

- Tuned off my BlackBerry Bridge on my tablet.

- I even did a restart of my computer after the update of the BlackBerry Desktop Software

And still my tablet cannot be read by the computer which is important to me as I have never backed up my info and now urgently am required to do so.

Kind regards,

Boxy7 

Regular Contributor
My Device: BB ZED 10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: RE: My home computers inability to read from the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.....

Your computer doesn't see it at all? what OS on your computer? I am understanding that you have never backed up the playbook, and that you you just now are trying to connect to your computer. Did you update the playbook's OS over the air? Can you try installing the Desktop manager on another computer and making a backup and then do a wipe and an update after you have your backup done on another machine Once you do that, restore your back up, minus the apps and then try again with your own computer. You can get your apps back when you sign in to app world.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. Smiley Happy
Contributor

Re: RE: My home computers inability to read from the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.....

Hi Lucy,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your reply!! Also, yeah when I open up the BlackBerry Desktop Software I can actually see that it recognizes that there is a PlayBook attached but it will not allow me to fully connect. In regards to the operating system that I use I am pretty sure that it is Windows7 (although I can double check this with you if you want). The funny thing is my computer reads from my smartphone but not the actual tablet??

Also in regards to the question as to whether I have ever backed up no I haven't as I have not needed to as I have found a way around this by downloading apps which allow me to transfer single items over at a time. The trouble is with all of the important work I have been placing into my PlayBook as of late it is very important that a full back-up now occurs in order for me not to lose any of it.

Also, in regards to how I updated my PlayBook I did this on my mums computer as at the time I was using an Apple Mac and the PlayBook would not read from this also (I traded the Apple Mac for a Toshiba as the Toshiba being a Windows based computer is more user friendly to BlackBerry products etc)

Also, I have done a number of factory reset wipes on my PlayBook and I will NEVER again do this as all of my info was wiped and I spent weeks on end re-adding all of the apps that I had wiped off. Also, in regards to downloading the BlackBerry Desktop Software onto another computer I actually upgraded to the Toshiba as my lap-top run out of storage - in other words. I maxed out the memory on my laptop and upgraded to the Toshiba.

I hope this answers your question/s Lucy?

Kind regards,

Boxy7

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

Hello Boxy7, you're trying to connect with the USB cable right? Have you tried a Wi-Fi connection?

Try this great tutorial: http://www.berryreview.com/2011/04/28/faq-transfer-files-to-the-blackberry-playbook-over-wi-fi-or-us...

Also, your "shares" show up under the Network tree in Windows, it doesn't get mapped to a specific drive in MyComputer or Windows Explorer unless you manually do so. It also takes between 2-5 minutes to connect so don't expect instantaneous connections. A shortcut to refresh your network tree is F5 (same as refresh for a Web browser).

Anyhow, that tutorial should straighten you out. If you can connect to the Internet on your wireless network then you can connect to your PC. We'll all help you get there...

Also, here's some great troubleshooting tips for Wi-Fi and networking if you need: http://www.blackberryforums.com.au/forums/blackberry-playbook-discussion/12626-troubleshooting-wi-fi...

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi Chaosdivine,

Thanks for the advice. I think in the early days I did experiment with the wifi connection but I cant recall whether it was a success of failure (although I think that I managed some transfers over on my old laptop)? I will however give it a go tonight after work if I have the time and see how I go with it.

Also, thanks for the reassurances in saying that yous will help me get there, it really does mean alot to me to know that yous are all here offering advice when people are stuck!! : )

P.s. can you do back-ups of the PlayBook over wifi as well?

Kind regards,

Boxy7