Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Torch and Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

RE: Security Wipe...

In light of some of the issues I've been having I decided to go forward with a security wipe and just reload the device and reconfigure bridging.  If I get back to the same point I was before with bridging not showing my emails but everything else, etc, I may just give up on the Playbook altogether.

However, I find it interesting that when I performed the security wipe and started the setup again, it is redownloading and applying the 1.0.1.1710 OS?  I just think it's odd that the OS doesn't somehow get flashed into the device or get permanently used as the basis for a reconfig.  The warning stated that it'll blow away settings, files, applications - I guess the OS is being treated as an application in this case.

Been a while since I've security wiped a BB phone - does it behave the same way with the version of the OS build it's running and go back to what it was out of the box?

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: RE: Security Wipe...

Yes, and no.,..on the handheld BlackBerry a security wipe does not wipe the operating system, just your personal information, data and preferences.

When the device is wiped using something like JLCmder, you get et an "Error 507" which means no operating system is detected on the device. You must have the OS loaded and installed to your PC.

Thanks for your info.. that is good to know. What you seem to have done is a security wipe and reset it to factory condition.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

I think it has more to do with certain apps that the Playbook expects to see being removed during the security wipe.  I did a security wipe on my Playbook a couple days ago and several of the included apps were removed.  Other people have noted in these forums that removing apps like NFB will cause the Playbook to detect an update.  It's not really an update, but rather the Playbook re-installing those apps.

The security wipe did get rid of the Pete Yorn song for me though.

Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I thought it was that way.  It wouldn't make much sense for a phone I upgraded to 6.0 from 5.X to go back to 5.X when I security wipe it.

But yep, the Playbook apparently does.  It had .1710 on it already when I wiped it, it's forcing me to reapply post-wipe.  Bit of a bummer.

Contributor

Re: Security Wipe Followup...

So the issue I had with only my emails not showing in the bridging apps (the spinning circle but no emails listed), but everything else working fine (contacts, calendar, etc) was resolved by security wiping the tablet.  I didn't do anything else to my phone with the bridging app on it after all of my previous atttempts, just wiped the tablet and started over.

That would lead me to suggest the issue was on the tablet for sure. 

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Yep, what you did was more of a reset to factory settings.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Yeah, looks like it.  Thankfully it doesnt put that Pete Yorn song or the two games back on either. lol