Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: stolen Playbook. Is the BB PIN the same as unique identifier? Mine is this format 14:**:1*:a2:**:18

Original_Lucy wrote:

Also, just an FYI, if you connect your PB to desktop manager, it keeps your pin in the program. So if you open desktop manager, you will see your device is not connected and it also shows the pin of it. AND, if hadn't got it back, you could call RIM and report it stolen and give them your PIN and they would block all future connections to app world, internet, etc. As soon as you connect to the internet, you register with BB servers, that is how they find you to tell you that you have updates. I had one stolen back in Feb. and whoever has it now, just has a paperweight that they can not connect to the internet without being found out.

Good info Original_Lucy!

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook OS 2,0
My Carrier: celcom 0192121503

Re: stolen Playbook. Is the BB PIN the same as unique identifier? Mine is this format 14:**:1*:a2:**:18

thanks Original_Lucy. 

I've found the PIN, that was a MAC address I posted as I thought, Sadly, USB port is broken. 

Thanks for the info on contacting RIM, will do in any future event, which won't happen hopefully (!!).

All good.

FM

New Contributor

by the way, is blocking the PIN so the device becomes unusable known as 'bricking'? 

New term for me. Should know that being an ex switch engineer. Must have worked with 'PC' types too much.

Astonishing I am confused by that term. Bricking for us mean dumping it. 

FM

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Proximus

A MAC address can be modified quite simple with some computer knowledge, The PIN from Blackberry should be impossible to modify. Let's hope it.

Regards,

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16gb Wi-Fi only, OS 2.1.0.1314
My Carrier: N/A

@FinnMaia

No, 'bricking' in relation to tablets and phones means to literally turn it into a brick, i.e., do something so wrong to the firmware/software that it won't even boot.

Basically a very expensive paperweight Smiley Wink

-----------------------
PlayBook 16GB Wi-Fi
New Contributor

bricking

ah, thanks for that. Got it. It's a passive verb! Hopefully...