Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9360
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Hidden BRIDGE subfolder - attachments

"Still can't edit the attachments though... "  yeah, that is where I'm hosed. I COULD forward to my gmail account, open, edit, re-mail back to my corporate account, but how stupid is that?  Unproductive for sure.

And the other weird thing - last night with support, I couldn't open any attachments.  Support sent me some files; I could open them - and then I could open other existing attachments that were already in my e-mail.  Thought the problem was solved until I powered on this morning, nada.  Even after the update they pushed today.

I guess I was too hopeful and should learn never to buy something when it's first released!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650 and Playbook

Why would you email it back to a corporate account?  Just attach it  and send it where ever you want and if you need a copy on corporate network ok email or transfer next time you are on the corp network.  Seriously it takes many times as long to describe the difficulty as to perform the task.  It ain't perfect but here we are in the real world.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm not sure why you would email back to your corporate account either fochtk, but if you're frustrated and grasping at alternatives, I'm with you. I just can't figure out why we cannot edit a downloaded document on the PB. After all, you can edit it on the phone using Docs-to-Go if it was installed, so why not on the Bridge which is supposed to be an extension of the phone?

I never used to be, but lately I've turned into an "early adopter" of technology. My colleagues let me go out and bang my head for days to months before they decide if they should pursue the same path.

I'm trying to figure out what to do next week. I'm going on a work related recruiting trip and it's a long, long ride to and from the destination. If I can't receive and edit documents, I might just as well bring my netbook which at 1/3 the price does just about everything except receive email (and I suppose an internet stick would solve that too).

Still like the form factor though...

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: telus

Re: Receiving, opening, saving attachments WARNING long post

I'm having some issues of my own, probably pretty similar to yours - I had a preconsived notion that that would be a seamless transition from my phone to my playbook, I don't understand why I can edit docs on my phone and can't on the playbook? what is the point of the playbook if it does less than my blackberry phone I'm hoping that I can get some feed back on when or if they will fix this problem (they only have 11 days, cause that's when the return policy ends at the store) FYI - what really bothers me is that I had to do this on an IPad!!!!!!!!! thanks.........a playbook hopefull for a couple more days
New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9360

well, since i cannot attach a file from my bridge mail, how else can i edit a file and send it from my corporate mail account?  any suggestions?  i can click the paper clip all day long but nothing happens.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650 and Playbook

my approach is to forward the corporate email with attachment to my gmail account.  that takes about 10 seconds.  i open the gmail with attachment and save the attachment.  another 15 seconds.  open word to go select browse open document edit it and save it.  open corp email hit attach select documents select the one you just edited and send it,  i think that it will be nice to avoid the gmail step but its a pretty simple workaround in the meantime.

Regular Contributor
My Device: curve
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Receiving, opening, saving attachments WARNING long post

Ozonation, great post with lots of detail and this is my core issue as well. My execs cannot use this device in it's current format unless the file open/save/find/edit features are fixed ASAP.
Regular Contributor

My issue is this. I can save the file on my BB to the bridge folder, but I can't browse to the file from spreadsheets to go on the Playbook, therefore I cannot edit the file. If i open the file from the bridge folder, it is read only and there is no way to change that. Very frustrating.
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Thanks mleckman. I figured that I included all the gory detail, it would help at least a few people.

The inability to edit documents if you access them within Bridge makes no sense to me - why would this be disabled? As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm heading out on a group corporate trip shortly, and now I not sure what's the point of bothering to bring the PB along. I was thinking if I cannot edit documents within Bridge that I received from my email, well, I'll transfer the files to my phone first and hope I don't need any updates. And I then I realized that because I would still have to access those files from within Bridge, I wouldn't be able to access them. So, I could just transfer them first to the PB via my computer, but of course, I lose my filing structure. I'm not sure that's helpful either.

It's so ironic that the workaround at the moment is GMail.   Maybe it's time to switch to Android...

I really like the form factor and there's something about the PB that's rather appealing, but I'm disheartened thinking that my year old Toshiba netbook that I bought on sale can do far more at 1/3 the price.

Such is life.

Regular Contributor

Yeah I've wracked my brain trying to figure out a work around and Gmail is definitely not the answer. I must have faith that RIM will see the many posts on this subject and fix it ASAP. I've got 3 PB's and have the execs testing it. They will not want one if this issue is not resolved.

Keep up the good work.