Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook Tablet 32G
My Carrier: MTS
Accepted Solution

Red Light Bleeding Issues!

I have a BB Playbook 32G. I recieved this tablet this past Monday for my birthday. Once I was into the tablet a bit, I noticed that there was a upside down shaped red L on the left-hand corner of my tablet. I knew that it was light-bleed, and I told my mom. She called BestBuy, the store of which my parents got the tablet from, and the help person said that it was a light bleed and that my parents had bought a defected BB Playbook, and that'd they give me a new Playbook because I JUST opened it, and they'd put my screen protector on. 

I had to wait some 24 hours because of the screen protector (it was put on all professional-like) before I could use the tablet because the guy said I shouldn't short-circuit it by using it right away. The first evening I used it after school, I didn't see any red light bleed in the same left hand corner. The next day though, in the evenning again I saw the red light. It flickered through on the left corner a couple of times, and then appeared fully.

If I tap on the battery icon, the light goes away. I turned off the Playbook, and when I restarted it, it wasn't there anymore.

Since I've gotten the Playbook, I've noticed that the red light only appears in my house. I took it to school once, and when I used it there, the light didn't show. Today at my friend's house I brought and used it, and it didn't show either. When I got home and turned it on a few seconds later the light flickered through on the left corner and then showed up.

I'm wondering if it's my Wi-Fi that's making the red light bleed show.. Any opinions?

Also, I had my Playbook in lock mode and the screenw was dark and blank, like it normally would be if I were to power it off. The Playbook gave a little chiming-beeping sound, and the little light thing beside the front camera of the playbook blinked bright red. I've taken this to know that the light is going to be there. Sure enough, it is.

Like I said, If i tap the battery icon the light immeaditely goes away. once I get out of the battery menu thing, the light isn't there anymore.

My mother wants to know if she needs to take the playbook back soon and get another one- IF THIS HAPPENS, THIS WILL BE MY THIRD PLAYBOOK. if it doesn't improve, she'll have to, because we're under the whole 14-day warranty thing since the day I opened it.

Any suggestions on what to do? And, what is that red light mean, or saying?

Thanks. I'd really appreciate any help.

New Contributor

Re: Red Light Bleeding Issues!

I've also recalled the the times I've used my playbook that i wasn't connected to a Wi-Fi net work.
Does this mean anything?
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

The left top corner light bleed is an indicator telling you that you have received email. Tap tthe setting gear in the top right corner, scroll down to Sounds and Notification and check what options you have. There is nothing wrong with the screen.
You can also download the PlayBook User Manual from this forum. Now you have some weekend reading to do.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Yep, the "red light" is a notification indicator. It is shown when you have e-mail, a calendar appointment, App World updates or other notifications. It's just drawn on the screen by the OS, it isn't hardware or a malfunction. Also, when your PB is running low on memory because you have too many apps open it may "glow" on both sides.

I had to wait some 24 hours because of the screen protector (it was put on all professional-like) before I could use the tablet because the guy said I shouldn't short-circuit it by using it right away.  

That's ridiculous. There is no reason to wait 24 hours. The screen can't short-circuit. Also, the PlayBook screen is really tough. Unless you are very rough or prone to dropping things all the time, no protector or case is needed. I've had mine for a year now without protection, and it's often tossed into a bag or slid around on a table, and it's still in pristine condition.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Forums Veteran I

Bookwormqueen,
Has this issue been resolved? If so please select Solution found.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook Wifi 16GB & 64GB
My Carrier: Other

WOW! 

It seems bookwormqueen doesn't read very much.  I'm suprised none of you gave an opinion about the best buy salesman.  He should be fired!  How much did he just cost the store?  In the past?

No wonder they are going under.

Yankee495
Go to crackberry.com and search for Best Buy and you will see that the above is by far not an isolated case.
New Contributor

Thanks so much, and everyone else for your help!

Forums Veteran I

You are welcome. Anytime you have a question, just ask. The BlackBerry Support Community Forums are here to help.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook Wifi 16GB & 64GB
My Carrier: Other

Hey lost.

I went at Christmas to look at tablets. I knew the PB was at the top of my list. The demo was dead. I checked the others and just wasn't impressed because I had read about their flaws.

So I came home and waited. Finally bought a 16GB a month ago and a
64GB yesterday. 16 going to wife.

And bookworm...read all you can. These guys will help you, and me. You have been a victim in this deal. You had to go without your PB and maybe not get another one. I'm glad your mom didn't give up and get something bad.

The Best Buy guy didn't know what he was talking about. REMEMBER that forever! Study first, then go look...then shop online and everywhere you can for the best price.

What you have is really nice. Take care of it and good luck.