Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Not an owner yet
My Carrier: Not an owner yet

Sad Day

The news that the BB Playbook is finally been discontinued is a sad thing indeed. My 16gig Playbook is the most useful, dependable piece of tech. I have ever owned. Purchased as a backup to my laptop, it is now the only thing I use. Banking, weather, photo manipulation...even timing my hard boiled eggs - I would be lost without it. I hope that BB continues to support it and programmers continue to develop apps. Judged on quality it is a winner. Too bad the market is so fickle.

Thanks to the BB team.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Sad Day

I own three Playbooks, and have 4G. We are using the Playbook for many things.We do our business management, and much more on the Playbook. If I have to replace the Playbooks I will have to resort to another manufacture using another operating system, which I am sure will not have the same level of security.

I use it as a laptop replacement for many applications.  I was anxious to have the new OS10 for it that I hear will never come. It is dissapointing that there will no longer be a Blackberry tablet.  About 6 months ago I was told they were coming with a new model of Playbook. I was anxious for this. I would have bought a number of them.

Jerry G.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

escher7 wrote:

The news that the BB Playbook is finally been discontinued is a sad thing indeed. My 16gig Playbook is the most useful, dependable piece of tech. I have ever owned. Purchased as a backup to my laptop, it is now the only thing I use. Banking, weather, photo manipulation...even timing my hard boiled eggs - I would be lost without it. I hope that BB continues to support it and programmers continue to develop apps. Judged on quality it is a winner. Too bad the market is so fickle.

Thanks to the BB team.

The market is not fickle, it's wide open to the right entrepreneurs.  It's lousy marketing that is killing BB. 

Playbooks were discontinued in manufacture six months ago. There was speculation by optimists like me that the lack of availability was due to stockpiling for some big release, after all the US Department of Defense just gave the OK to Playbooks.  It seems that the delay in killing Playbook was due solely to tbe remaining stocks that needed shifting. I don't think it's fraud, but it's not nice. 

My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

[ Edited ]

escher7 wrote:

The news that the BB Playbook is finally been discontinued is a sad thing indeed.

I wasn't aware of this. Can you post a link to the announcement?

Thanks,

Shane.

My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10 / Passport
My Carrier: O2 UK

Here you are. Does not make happy reading but confirms 1, bb10 is not coming to PlayBook and therefore the PlayBook is dead. 2, Thorstein Heins is a liar and used deceit to sell a lot of stockpiled PlayBooks.  

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/28/blackberry-10-not-coming-to-playbook/

BlackBerry is for Life, not just for Christmas
Contributor
My Device: Not an owner yet
My Carrier: Not an owner yet

I don't know whether they lied or whether economics dictated the decision after recent sales figures on the BB 10, but to me the tragedy is the loss of support for such a dependable, functional piece of equipment. The techs who engineered this tablet are to be commended. My Playbook seems to anticipate every move I make. With the email app, which could use some improvement, and apps like Air Browser, Book Reader, Money Plus, Network Monitor, PDF Reader, Photo Editor Extreme, Uncompressor, and others therere really isn't much more I need. A good cad/design app. would be great, but I really don't feel the need to use my lap except for heavy spreadsheets, torrents, and mass storage etc.

When this machine dies I will be at a loss to replace it, especially at such a great price. But then that really is the root of the problem - I paid $125 for a 16 gig and BB can't make money at that rate. Unfortunately to get anything comparable in the Android market will cost 3 X as much, and even then I doubt the dependability will be there. Hopefully my machine will last until the next big jump in technology.

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I am sticking with my playbook, no other tablet is button less with actions and secure as this

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V