Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Priv STV100-4
My Carrier: O2 UK

Saving PDF files.

I have received a PDF file as an attachment to an e-mail, the e-mail was opened using a WiFi connection.  How do I save it to my documents folder?  I have enabled File Sharing and WiFi Sharing under Storage and Sharing, but when I have the PDF file opened I cannot see how to save it. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Re: Saving PDF files.

IMG_00000059.jpg

Can you see the above screenshot when you try to save the pdf file? (the name of the pdf file will be different, of course, but the extension has to be present).

Trusted Contributor

No, I can't see that.  There is a little icon that has "PDF" in it, but tapping that (rather than the name of the file) does nothing.  Once I've opened the file I can stroke downwards from the top that allows me to go to the files on my PlayBook (Pictures, Video, Music Documents), but there is no option anywhere (that I can see) that allows me to save the PDF file I have opened and am looking at.  And on the original e-mail (this PDF file came as an attachment) it says "tap to open" but there is no other option to do anything else, like save it.

Trusted Contributor

I went to samplepdf.com to check if I could download a pdf file. If you go there and you see this box, then that's clear, which means it can be something related to the e-mail provider. Is it gmail, or hotmail, or yahoo, or something else?
Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

try this

on Playbook open Options /Select Security -> Application Permissions / Select Adobe Reader application / Edit file permissions setting to allow the application to access files stored on BlackBerry PlayBook / Save settings by selecting Back button after making changes.

hope this works

Trusted Contributor

Thanks wespro. I was very hopeful when I went in to adjust the Application Permissions, but they were already set to Allowed.  I tried changing it to Prompt to see if that made a difference, but that made no difference except to prompt me when I opened the PDF file.  I've put it back to Allowed and I still get no option to save anywhere.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi sabastianmoran.  No, I don't see that screenshot because I am not given any option to "try to save" the file. 

But I did go to samplepdf.com as you suggested, downloaded a PDF file and immediately the option to save the file came up, as shown in your screenshot.

So the problem seems to be when a PDF file is sent as an attachment to an e-mail, rather than one that is downloaded from the browser.  I can open the PDF file that came as an e-mail attachment but can't find a way to save it.

Very odd - and frustrating!

Trusted Contributor

Wait, are you using the bridge functionality to see your e-mail account ON the playbook FROM a BB smartphone? If that's the case then I'm afraid it will not allow you to save the file on the pb, only on a removable memory on the smartphone (should you have that).
My Carrier: Orange

I had the same problem. I was bridged to my torch and when I opened the hotmail email on the playbook (hotmail pushed to torch) and then opened the .pdf attachment I couldnt find it anywhere within adobe reader on the playbook. It appears to have put it somewhere on my torch. I needed this pdf on my playbook without having to open the email and be bridged to my torch so I opened hotmail directly on the playbook through my wifi connection (I turned off the bridge just to be sure) and then I downloaded the pdf that way. It saved it in adobe reader on the playbook so now I can open this pdf drawing without needing to be bridged to my torch or have access to wifi.

Pity there seems to be no way to choose where you want to save the pdf (playbook or smartphone) when you download if when bridged to the smartphone. I notice when I am bridged and download a word document it saves it in my 'word to go' app on the playbook which is better for me.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch2 9810 & 64GB Playbook
My Carrier: Glo Nigeria

i think it was always clear that for information security reasons, if you're bridged to your bb, then everything happens on ur bb you're only just viewing on ur playbook and that explains why downloaded files gets saved to the bb if you're bridged.

as paul mentioned, you have to use wifi to directly access your mail to save a download to the playbook. i used my playbook on wifi for about a week before i bridged it to my 9700 and downloading attachment from my yahoo mail was a breeze on the playbook. i downloaded all kinds, jpegg, .pdf. docx etc

I love me some berry