Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Should Playbook be larger with 9.5" diagonal screen?

Current Playbook size with a 7" diagonal screen is too small for effective business and personal use.  Smartphones are getting larger (i.e. Motorola Atrix) and tablets render like a normal 81/2 by 11 inch piece of paper.  Slipping a PlayBook into a suit pocket is a nice idea, but from a visual functionality perspective, it is too small. 

With all that power and visual potential, why keep the PlayBook at 7"?  A 7" screen may be a market differentiator, however it's functionality begs for a larger screen.

For visual rendering and reading of information (i.e. using a PlayBook for business briefing materials or Board materials), the current PlayBook is just too small. 

Will BlackBerry consider expanding the size of the PlayBook to be closer to a piece of paper as opposed to an oversized Torch?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Should Playbook be larger with 9.5" diagonal screen?

not confirmed but maybe

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2219&news=rim+blackberry+playbook+10+inch

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

RockFlow wrote:

Will BlackBerry consider expanding the size of the PlayBook to be closer to a piece of paper as opposed to an oversized Torch?

My gut feeling is that we'll see a ≥10" screen before Christmas.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Thank you - that was helpful - hopefully that will be the case Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

At 7inches the Playbook slips into dresspants or suit pocket. A much more functional option than a shoulderbag case. As for presentations, use the output port! Just saying I prefer the portability. Just wish it had handwriting recog for one handed operation.
Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

9.5" is too large to hold and to use.

My ideal size is between 8 and 9 inches, and must have a rubberised back like the PB does.

Even 7 inches would be okay if a proper, professional aspect ratio (1.414:1) were used instead of an amateur 16:9. You know, the closer a tablet is to a square, the more area the screen has.