Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32 GB
My Carrier: Bell

Skype for Playbook

Without a full-blown version of Skype (chat, audio and video), the Playbook is missing key end-user functionality and is an also ran in the tablet market.

Come on RIM upstage Apple.  Release a version of Skype just before Apple's iPad 3 annoucement.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Skype for Playbook

Your request should be adressed to Skype not RIM. Skype has to provide a version compatible with the PB.

New Contributor

Surely, RIM could help 'grease the wheels' with Skype.  After all, the is an Android Skype app and RIM has the tools and know how to configure Android apps for the Playbook.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm sure RIM could, but there are copyrights,...they don't own the software, Skype does.

New Contributor

Then negotiate.  RIM has a good reltionship with Microsoft, a major Skype shareholder.  Further the Canada Pension Plan owns a portion of Skype, surely RIM could use its political connections to advantage!!!

Highlighted
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oops!!  It seems the CPP sold its interest in Skype as part of the MS deal.  With MS in control, negotiating could be problematic.