Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

Still unable to Back up Playbook!

I originally posted this 5 days ago or so but there are still no effective solutions so I am reposting this issue.  Also, there were at least 12 people who had the same issue.

Basically, I can't back up my Playbook.  I sync just find but when I try to back up, it goes through the process then gives me an error message saying that the "Playbook may have been disconnected or something". 

I have already upgraded to the newest released of desktop os.  I can also back up my cell phone just fine.

This proble keeps me from buying any Apps, etc for fear of not being able to save them.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook & Torch
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Still unable to Back up Playbook!

ditto for me. has anyone been able to back up their PB? Or are just some of us affected by this error?
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

I was able to backup mine.

Try this steps that I figured out and posted on another Topic similar to this, only it was about Media Sync.

*Note: Make sure you have BlackBerry Desktop Software/ Device Manager installed and updated to latest version, before you continue.

• Unplug your Playbook from the USB connected to your PC.
  • Go to "Settings" >Storage & Sharing > Select "Wi-Fi Sharing" to "OFF".
  • Under "USB Connections" Select "Connect to Windows" in the drop menu.
  • Go back to your BB Desktop Software and under Tools select  "Refresh iTunes Album Art". (It may take a few minutes depending on iTunes Library Size)
  • Right click on your BlackBerry Device Manager icon located in your Taskbar, and click "Properties" >Options> select "Mount tablet volumes on connect" and  "Launch File Explorer on Volume mount" click "Ok".
  • Plug your Playbook back to your PC via USB connection.

*Wait for everything to load and you should be able to Sync and Backup your Playbook.

Thank You!

Contributor
My Device: Playbook & Torch
My Carrier: Telus

Hi TSP001,

I was crossing my fingers that your changes would work, but unfortunately I still got the error message.  Anyone else have any tips?

Thanks anyways TSP.

Contributor

Thanks for the input... but these changes didn't wprk fpr me either.  When you were able to back up, did this include Applications? I was told to uncheck Apps and it should work but this is whats important to me... the paid apps.  Everything else, I can do through click and drag.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930, PlayBook, and Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I was having problems backing up my playbook, but it resolved itself.  Initiallly it would get almost to the end of the backup then would error out.  Do this: Just backup the settings first.  Then try to backup everything

Contributor

Thanks for the input; I was able to save the settings but not the Applications.  Could it be one of the apps I have downloaded that prevents me from backing up? I wonder...

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930, PlayBook, and Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I backed up my settings and everything except apps, then I forced DM to wipe and reload my OS

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

edokes,

I just did another Backup of eveything on my Playbook again and I did not receive any errors.

The only thing I can think of now, is for you to uninstall your BB Desktop Software and Device Manager. Also make sure the RIM Network Device in your Device Manager is uninstalled. After doing the uninstallation of everything, restart your Computer.

• Plug your Playbook to your PC after restart.
  • Let all the drivers install again by themselves. Go to your "Computer" and there should be another Device letter with your Playbook added during the installation of the drivers, open that Device Letter and install the "Device Manager" located inside the folder. But only the Device Manager.
  • Next, go to www.blackberry.com/desktop and download the BB Desktop Software.

Let everything load, without canceling anything, let the BB Desktop Software check for updates, etc. Then do the same steps that I mentioned earlier for the Media Sync/Backup. Then try to Backup you Playbook.

*Let me know if this works.

Thank You!

Contributor

THanks for all of the Help.   I will definitely give you a Kudos.  However... none of these things helped.   I even called Blackberry Support today and they could do nothing. 

Maybe it's one of the apps that I have downloaded... it could have a bug which could stop the App Data from backing up properly? Who knows... they said that they have forwarded the issue to try to be included in a future update.