Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Re: Still unable to Back up Playbook!

I will try to remove my 'on-device' maps. They are not much good anyway.The cashed info is too small. Right now I converted to OS2. I could do a system backup after the install.

On a related topic the Android version, running on PB OS2, of the on-device map works real good. It does take some memory but it works real cool, without any network help, wifi or data plan. I will try to backup tomorrow again.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: O2 UK

Hi

I am a new user and also have the Backup problem and errors on the Applications, OK on the Settings and Media. I do not have any of the Apps listed as possible causes of the problem. I am in the UK and running OS 1.0.8.6067.

I tried many times without success last night but would appreciate someone telling me where to clear the memory cache so I can try that.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: 3068622107

hold power button down 10seconds
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Hutchinson5033, there is no general "memory cache" to clear. There may be caches in individual apps, such as the browser (check its options) or those on-device maps.

We haven't got any sort of exhaustive list of apps that trigger the problem yet, though, so don't just go by the ones we mentioned. Go through each of your apps and attempt to identify (mainly by thinking about what the app does and contains, and what you see inside it) whether it either includes thousands of files (generally these are likely images) or may download thousands of files and store them.

Also remember to restart after removing such an app, as we don't know yet how long it takes the system to automatically clean up all traces of it after an uninstall. For now, we're assuming that a restart will result in the housekeeping being done and all traces removed, but even that's speculative for now (or, rather, our observations suggest it's probably true but we're not certain).,

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Thanks Peter for your tips; I have installed OS2 during Xmas and was able to do a system backup only.

After your note I deinstalled the on-device maps I had on my PB and yesterday I could do a system and an app data backup. I am happy now.

(By the way the On-Device Maps are not really good anyway. They need network (wifi or bridged-data plan) connection  to be useful. Those interested in on-device maps and are running OS2, I suggest to use MapDroid.)

In any case, applications sold(!) on BB App World should not interfere with backup. This is a bug.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

godot2011 wrote:

In any case, applications sold(!) on BB App World should not interfere with backup. This is a bug.

It is a bug, but in no way the fault of the app developers.  This is RIM's bug, pure and simple.  Insufficient testing... a regression test suite that includes a variety of apps, including really large ones and those with thousands of files, should be in use.  I hope they're proficient enough to be adding this case to the test suite now...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
f2
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

I have to agree with Peter. While certain apps may demonstrate the problem by causing DM backup to fail, the app is not the culprit. Rim's DM software needs to be more robust and catch such problems. Either that or they need tools to show developers how to avoid the issues. We don't know if it is the number of files an app spawns, or the size of the total. Rim needs to figure that out.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

I have read that the Desktop Manager 7 is currently being tested at the BlackBerry Beta Zone, so let's hope that RIM has already started figuring that out.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Removing the PC Recipe Box app worked for me too.

PB backups are working again!

(Note: I had and still have the WeatherEye app installed without issue.)

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Rogers

I had a problem backing up also until I discovered this thread.  All I did is delete PC Recipe Box and reboot my Playbook, and all worked well.

Not sure who should put out an update to fix this, RIM or PC...