Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Still unable to Back up Playbook!

It's not the fault of the devs behind Recipe Box.

Fortunately, it's also (as I understand) fixed for 2.0.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: O2 UK

Hi. Unfortunately I have just upgraded to OS 2 and it has not fixed the issue for me. I still get the error when trying to back up the applications. It gets to 1.16GB (of 1.35GB) and then fails. I must add that the upgrade to 2.0 went flawlessly and it didn't lose any of my settings data apps etc.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Rogers

Edokes, do you have PC Recipie Box installed? I had the exact same issues as you, and all I had to do to fix the problem was to uninstall that app.
New Contributor

I don't have Recipe Box installed. However I have just tried again after removing a couple of apps, Free Chess and Poynt, and it has succeeded at 1.34gb. It did seem to pause at 1.6gb again which does lead me to think it must be something to do with it timing out when dealing with large amounts of data.
New Contributor

Sorry I meant to say 1.16gb! Which is when it stalled last time.
Developer

The issue is known to be somewhat inconsistent, so even those with one of the "bad" apps installed may sometimes be able to back up successfully.

If you didn't have Recipe Box, you probably have some other app which has literally thousands of files installed with it. The "on-device" maps apps (and I hope you aren't one of the unfortunate souls who spent money on those) are known to trigger the issue as well in some cases (from cached data).

The issue, by the way, is not the fault of the app developers. It is, however, fixed internally and I would expect us to see a fix come out with 2.0 if not earlier.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
My Device: 7250, 8130, 9700, PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I've owned the PlayBook since the week of release and have been met with nothing but disappointment. The sheer fact that RIM ignores its own support forum is shameful to say the least. They ignore this major issue and offer no support nor mention of it. I'm willing to bet that when 2.0 is released next week, it will recommend that we backup beforehand. Good job RIM on **bleep** off loyal consumers. This whole PlayBook fiasco has me looking elsewhere. You've lost another person who has been with you since before you offered colour screens.
Developer

dvrogers, you didn't actually come here to ask for any help, right? In fact, you didn't even say you're having trouble backing up, from what I can tell.

And what's with the "RIM ignores its own support forum" thing? Did you realize they're aware of the issues described in this thread, and have fixed it in the latest builds, and that the fix will be part of the major 2.0 update that's coming out by the end of February?

And I'll take that bet...

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Well you've lost the bet. I haven't been able to backup since July. I'm aware that they now know about it but many of us have been waiting for months upon months for a fix. This sort of thing should not require us to wait until 2.0 (which was delayed until Feb 2012). Have you had a PB long enough to remember the promise of regular updates?
Developer

I don't think I've lost the bet until 2.0 is out, have I?

I also think that, if your symptoms are the ones described for the issue that I'm talking about, then it's fixable. I haven't found anyone yet who can't back up after addressing the problem properly.

And I had the PB since May. They promised regular updates, and delivered them for a while. Then they changed their strategy, planning to hold off and do a larger update. Then they delayed that. So what? Have you never changed your mind about anything? They didn't promise to continue doing regular updates like clockwork for the life of the product, as I recall.