Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

Strange PDF Issue

I have a pdf book that I've synced to my Playbook, but when I read it on the Playbook, it only has content for the first 13 pages. It shows all 313 pages, but after page 13, each page is blank. I've opened the PDF on my PC and confirmed that nothing is wrong with the PDF, i.e., there is content on each of the 313 pages. Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this?

Contributor
My Device: 9330 3G
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Strange PDF Issue

By syncing, do you mean dragging and dropping from the PC to the PlayBook? Or opening it from an attachment from an email to your smartphone. Or is it on your smartphones SD card and you access it through bridge files?

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

By syncing I mean dragging and dropping into the "documents" folder, but I've also sent it as an email attachment to my Playbook and have the exact same issue when I open the attachment.

Contributor

You can try and copy it to the SD card of your BB smartphone and see if you can access it from bridge files. Other than that I'm not sure what to do about it.

New Contributor

Unfortunately the SD card idea won't work b/c my company blocks it. It must be either a setting on my Playbook or something wrong with Adobe Reader b/c I've put a bunch of pdf's on the Playbook and it happens with each one.
Contributor

Have you tried to reset the PlayBook already? Hold down the power button for about 10-15 seconds then power it back on. Then try to open the file again. Although it sounds like the file wasn't completely downloaded right. It is weird that it happens to every single pdf though.

New Contributor

Yup, just tried that, but it didn't help. Still get blank pages after page 13. Is there a way to re-install Adobe Reader?
Contributor

The only way I know of is to reinstall the o/s of the PlayBook. But you may lose the apps you downloaded. I am not sure if you can back up apps yet. I would recommend calling the tech support since it is free and see if they can do anything about the issue.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9550 (Storm 2)

I have come across the same issue!! I think t here is a compatibility issue with certain PDF formats with PB. My friend and husbands' playbooks have the same issue. One "workaround" I've invented is copy and paste your PDF content into MS Word. Then convert it back into a PDF by either a PDF Printer/scanner or you'll need PDF professional at work. The annoying thing is that you will lose formatting on the eBook but hopefully you don't care enough about that if you only focus on the content itself.

Hope this helps!

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

It might be that the PDF file you are trying to open has been created by the "Print to PDF" function.
If you create the PDF file again, using "Save as PDF" maybe it solves the issue?

Please keep me informed.