Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Stuck on boot-up screen after 2.0 update.

Playbook is stuck on the start-up screen after downloading the update and rebooting, and has been for over a hour now. The battery was at full power at the time of the update, and has since been plugged in. I've seen posts where it took about 15 minutes to boot up after the upgrade...but it's been well over a hour, I suspect something is wrong. Is anyone aware of a work around? One that doesn't involve a factory reset? Will not be impressed if the update bricked the device.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Stuck on boot-up screen after 2.0 update.

leave it be for a while longer to be on safe side

then when you give up

on Playbook press power button and both Vol + - buttons for 20 seconds to reboot it.

and see if it persists.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Reset, and it's now been stuck on the boot up splash screen for over 20 minutes again...I'll wait a bit longer...but what would be the next step?

Still on the boot-up screen...this is ridiculous. A perfectly working device before hand, now a screen with nothing but pretty lights flashing.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 1.0.8

I'm having the same issue.  I even have it plugged in to the quickcharger (the one that doesn't use the USB).  It's now been 4 hours.  Tried to reset it with just the power button, it simply returns to the pretty circles.  I'm seeing reports of this elsewhere as well.  My unit is about 1 month old and is the only blackberry device I own.  

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: rogers

same issue, i actually updated yesterday, i was showing everyone how awesome the new software was...it was a bit laggy so i reset..then boom. nada. pretty moving circles, i've reset MULTIPLE TIMES, it's plugged in, battery should be full. what the fluxcapacitor is going on?!!!$!#

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

maybe time to reload the OS using the debrick method.

First I would like you to do a Back Up of your PlayBook (if possible) using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

This can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the Back Up is complete I need you to unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 1.0.8

I finally did get mine to boot. I let it run for about 2 more hours and then tried a power reset again. It actually took about 5 presses of the power key to get it to turn back on (I was worried) but it did eventually boot up. After about 6 minutes of the lovely orbs it booted to 2.0. Hope this helps someone and thanks for all the help.
Mark
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB, Storm 9530
My Carrier: Telus

Ya this appears to be a problem.  I had a flawless update to 2.0.  My playbook rebooted after the update no problem.  Played around with the new features, made some folders, browsed the web...everything worked fine.  Turned my playbook off for the night.  The next day I went to turn it on.....and it froze on the startup screen (where it says Blackberry Playbook with the colorful circles).  Since then I have done EVERYTHING possible to get it to boot up (multiple soft resets, hard resets, reloaded the OS from DM three times, left it on overnight and plugged in to try and get passed startup screen).  NOTHING HAS WORKED.  It simply will not get passed the startup screen!  WTF??!!  This is really making me angry.  Any other suggestions other than soft/hard reset or reloading the OS from Desktop Manager?

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

My parents had the same problem with their playbook....after a few hrs of and many reset tries....they finally called RIM and asked for help....the chick told them to install desktop manager and connect the PB to it...then Desktop manager recognized the PB and downloaded and install Os 2 again....